13

"What took you so long?" Korra asks as we make our way to Amon's rally.

"Um, Tarrlok was um, he wanted to... Uh..."

What do I say? "Oh, Tarrlok was just telling me in order to stay a decent human being and not disgrace our entire culture I should never bloodbend again? Oh, and by the way, I can bloodbend, and without a fullmoon?" Um, no, I don't think so. Besides Mako, I am never speaking a word of this to anybody ever again. What if one of the council members found out? I'd be sent to jail. Mom and dad would never forgive me. Korra would think I'm a monster. She, or anybody else can never know about this.

"I'm sure Tarrlok was just apologizing to her, too," Mako says, saving me from me from making a bigger fool of myself than I already look.

"You know they didn't have the best relationship. I mean, how hard is it to remember the name Kitty?" he finishes.

"Um, yes! Mako's right, he was just apologizing."

"Oh, ok," Korra shrugs. She fell for it. "There it is, let's go."

She runs ahead of Mako and I as we approach the building where Amon is holding his rally. I can't believe she fell for that. I know the circumstances aren't the best, but I'm glad she's too distracted to look into what Tarrlok was actually saying to me.

"Thanks for that," I thank him quietly.

"You're welcome. I figured he was going to say something about... you know. So, about that-"

"Before you say anything, no, I will not be bloodbending ever again. No, I will not tell Korra or our family, ever. I was thinking about it, but I just can't. And no, I haven't tried doing it again. I don't even know how I did it the first time. When I did do it, I was so angry and worried about Korra, and it drained everything in me. I don't think it's physically possible for me to ever do it again."

"Well good. I know how upset it made you, I just want to make sure you're ok. Losing Korra was bad, but seeing you like that, I.. didn't like it- I hated it."

"Thanks, Mako. Right now I'm just really confused and I'm terrified. I always thought that only monsters have the ability to bloodbend and use it to their advantage... I don't know, maybe I'm just over thinking everything, but all I know is, I need to push all of that aside right now and focus on capturing Amon. He's the only thing that matters right now."

"Well, if you ever want to talk about it, I'm here for you," Mako says, and we make our way inside to join Korra.

This is it. We're really going to make our presence known in a building full of people who hate us, with a man who can take away our bending. Welp, there's no turning back now.

...

"Thank you all for joining me on this historic occasion!" Amon says to the crowd as they cheer. "When I was a boy, a firebender struck down my entire family and left me scarred. That tragic event began my quest to equalize the world."

What a liar. And of course he's going with a firebender considering the world's history with the Fire Nation and the One Hundred Year War. They have done nothing but redeem themselves since Avatar Aang dethroned Ozai, and Firelord Zuko took the throne, and it's not fair that he's lying on them.

"That's a lie, Amon!" Korra yells out.

I watch Amon from afar, but I can see his eyes widen as he spots Korra, Mako, and I on the balcony.

"Or should we call you Noatak?" I yell out.

"Everyone calm down, we have nothing to fear from the Avatar," Amon says, and I roll my eyes annoyed at his holier than thou act. "Let's hear what she has to say."