3;18

Mako

"Hey, Kid. Can we talk?" Chief Beifong asks.

"Uh, sure."

We go off, away from everyone else. It's been a long day. The airbenders are being held captive, Korra has been taken, and my brother is a lavabender. I guess that last one isn't so bad, and at least we found Tenzin, but he's in really bad shape. I can't believe four people managed to do all this, and now the world is trouble because the Avatar and the airbenders were taken, and we don't know where they could've taken them to!

"I've got some bad news, kid," Lin tells me.

Wait, where's Kitty?

"What is it?" I ask getting concerned. "And where's Kitty? I haven't seen her- Oh no, was she taken, too?"

"I regret to inform you-"

Spirits, please no...

"Please, boss. If you're gonna say what I think you're gonna say, lose the act."

Her face falls completely. I've never seen her like this. I don't want to hear it, I know something bad happened. What am I going to tell Asami? What am I going to tell my brother? They were best friends... What am I going to do? She was my best friend, too. I was so protective over her, and the one time I'm not, something bad happens? And now she's.. Gone?

"Kitty sacrificed herself to save her father."

"No," I gasp.

I knew it. I already knew she was gone before she said it, but just hearing those words broke my heart into a million pieces. So much regret and sadness floods my entire body. If only she knew how much she meant to me. She deserved so much more. She always put others before herself. She was strong and courageous, and she died doing what she was passionate about.

Kitty is dead... I'm gonna pass out.

"If it wasn't for her," Lin says. "Tonraq would be dead, and so would Korra. Listen, I know it hurts. She meant a lot to me, too, kid. And we're going to miss her at the station."

"Where is she?" I ask, afraid to hear the answer. "Can I see her?"

"We don't know where she is, it's likely we'll never find her. I'm so sorry, Mako. She went out a hero, and she will be honored as so."

"So I'll never see her again..."

I'm going to be sick.

"What am I going to tell Bolin?" I mutter.

He's going to be absolutely crushed.

"Nothing. You don't tell him, or anyone else yet. This stays between, you, me, Su, and Tonraq until this mess is over with. Then we'll figure out how to break the news to everyone."

"But why did you tell me? Why did I need to know now?" I ask.

"You were her partner, you deserved to know just as much as we do. I'm so sorry, kid," she finishes and leaves me here alone.

I wish she wouldn't have told me. I guess I still would've figured it out, but that would've been better than actually being told that she's gone. I wish we could've had more time.

This isn't fair.

...

Kitty (surprise mother sucka's!)

In and out, in and out.

In and out, like a pendulum my mind goes. I have yet to open my eyes. I don't want to see what death looks like just yet. I miss everybody already. I hope Korra is alright, and I hope she and my dad jumped Zaheer and his little goons for me. I didn't even make it to 18. I didn't get to go on vacation with Tu- Oh my goodness, Bud! He'll never understand why mama never came home, and Asami never built me my racecar with the candy dispenser, and Bolin and I didn't prank Mako nearly enough, but I think what sucks the most is that I never got to see Korra become the best Avatar she can be, and my father and I... I just hope he knows how much I love him.