2;3.1

The drama in this chapter is *chefs kiss!

...

Korra has reopened the Southern spirit portal and taken the first step to restoring balance between spirits and man. Meanwhile, tensions are high between Korra and her father after she discovered he was hiding a dark secret. Years ago, Tonraq was banished from the North. And now the Northern navy has landed on Southern shores. What other plans does Unalaq have for the Avatar?

...

Why am I so stupid?

I should've seen this coming. We should've known that Unalaq would bring his troops from the north. I guess that's what he meant when he said the north can't sit back anymore. This is just too much. My home is being invaded, my relationship with my boyfriend is falling apart, and Korra is upset with our father. I don't know what to do, but I am sure about one thing. Whatever happens between the north and the south, I will always fight for my home.

"What is the meaning of this?!" I exclaim.

"Uncle, why did you bring your troops down from the north?" Korra asks Unalaq.

"Now that you've opened the Southern portal, we need to protect it from the people who would do the spirits harm."

"I can protect it," Korra tells him.

"Yeah," I agree with my sister. "And why do you think we're going to hurt the spirits?"

"I need you for something more important," he says, completely ignoring me. "There is another portal, in the north. Once you open it, spirits and man will be able to move freely between the North and the South in a matter of seconds."

"But the solstice is over. How am I going to open it?" Korra asks

"The spiritual energy is much stronger in the north. And now that you've opened the southern portal, your energy is stronger as well."

"With both portals open, our tribes will be united again," Korra says with a smile, but I am not smiling.

I'm furious! I don't get why Unalaq is the one to be doing this. Who made him the gatekeeper of the spirits? I just think if anyone were to handle any kind of spiritual matter, it should be Tenzin.

"The world will be united again."

...

Right now Korra and I are on our way to a meeting at my parents home held by Varrick. I don't know what to expect, you never do when it comes to him. He's really smart, but at the same time, the craziest man I know.

Yes, Von is coming. I wasn't planning for this to be the reason why he's coming over for the first time to my family home, but I guess it'll have to do. I just hope this meeting doesn't get us into any trouble, and I hope Von doesn't mess this up.

"Thank you for coming, everyone. I know these last few days have been very troubling," my father says
politely to the group.

"Troubling?" Varrick says rhetorically. "Troubling is when I get that itchy rash that won't go away, and Zhu Li's not around to scratch it. This is shocking. Nay, sickening! But these kale cookies? Opposite."

"What's your point, Varrick?" My dad asks annoyed.

"My point is, Unalaq's already booted our chieftains out of their palace. How long before he starts telling us what kind of cookies we can eat? Not to mention, I've got a cargo ship full of halibut that's rotting thanks to this harbor lockdown? Who wants to buy a ship full of stinking fish? Seriously, it's not rhetorical. I need to sell these fish."