56. Home Is Where You Are

Yuxin's POV

I held Y/N tight against me as I watched the numbers slowly descend, blinking red at the top of the doors. The tension in the small elevator shaft is thick and I could almost picture a knife cutting through it, but I could care less about it. All I know is that u have to make sure that Y/N is alright.

I leaned my back against the wall, my wet clothes making it feel like I am resting against a block of ice. I closed my eyes and rested my head against Y/N's. I am relieved. So relieved to be with her again. I missed everything about her. Although out if all the scenarios I've imagined of us reuniting and this is definitely not one of them, I'm grateful. Truthfully, it doesn't really matter how or in what way we reunite. What's truly important is we will end up together.

She still smells like home, not only because she still smells like strawberries, but because she is my home. The four walls of my bedroom were witnesses of how many nights I've longed to sleep next to her, sleepless nights and daydreams all about her. Ten months of those things felt like I was lost somewhere, confused and don't know what exactly to do about it. To be back home means being with her, and finally, I am.

Not a word was spoken the entire time, although by how suffocating and tensed the atmosphere is, anyone can tell that they all want to speak up, to say something. Beside me stood Keran, leaning against Lin Fan, her posture seemingly relaxed but her eyes are still dangerously attentive and alert as they stared at Amber, Sean and Xinlei who stood in front of us. Kiki is also with us, standing beside Lin Fan, eyes closed as she tiredly leaned against the wall.

Xinlei keeps looking back at us, mainly at Y/N as if checking. While the other two are whispering to each other, faint mumbles and buzzes of their words filling the space. We really had no plan in going with them but we were left with no choice as Xinlei is the most familiar to the building and she knows where to bring Y/N. As I stared up into the floor indicator again, I caught Sean sparing me glance before turning to Amber and whispering so quietly that no one was able to hear a single murmur from them.

"For your information, I was already considering that possibility but Y/N was the one so adamant in refusing it!" Our heads snapped towards Amber as she suddenly spoke loudly, startling us and breaking the silence. Her gaze then went towards me, eyes calculating.

"Y/N was so certain that it wasn't possible." She added before nonchalantly turning back to Sean as if nothing had happened.

Her words made me curious. Obviously, whatever it is, it involves Y/N and I, but what? I am itching to ask and know. What about Y/N? I was about to ask when the elevator completely stopped and a sharp ding sound was heard and the doors started to slide open.

We were welcomed by a spacious hallway, and surprisingly, not much people are around, just a woman in what looks like a reception and a few people in formal wear going in and out of the rooms.

"What kind of floor re we in, exactly?" Lin Fan asked, words mumbled as we all stepped out.

"I remember this. It's the CEO's floor. It's where Mister Hu holds important meeting and sometimes sleeps in on occasions." Kiki explained, making Xinlei hum and nod as she started to lead us.

The hallway is well lit, walls painted a modern, greyish blue and mostly composed of glass windows. I walked behind them as I took the time to observe the place. I tightened my arms around Y/N as it slightly grew colder from the air conditioners.

It also didn't help that our clothes are drenched in the rain. As I shifted her body, I felt one of her arms moving up to sling over my shoulder while the other wrapped around my back, making it so that she is hugging me. At the sound of her small groan, I looked down at her to see her still passed out, brows slightly furrowing as her hug tightened and she shifted closer.