44. Epiphany

Lin Fan's POV

"Damn it!" I silently cussed as I walked away from the clearing.

That wasn't supposed to happen. I was supposed to stay there with them. Shit. What now? I took a deep breath as I composed myself and walked in front of the guards.

The only hole I'm seeing in Kai Chynna's plan is bringing just a few guards. I let myself remain emotionless as I pass them. I can never let my walls down, even if they consider me as an ally. I fastened my pace and finally reached the spot where I parked the car I used. I anxiously paced the premise and bit at my nails as I tried to come up with a new plan.

"Think Lin Fan! Think!" I muttered as I continued pacing. What the hell am I gonna do? I can't let Y/N down. I promised. Not only her, but our friends as well. I don't. I don't know what I'll do if something happens to her.

I ruffled my hair in frustration as I came up with nothing. Time's already running out. Just when I'm a few seconds from screaming out all my frustration, a shine caught my attention, making me furrow my brows in confusion and cautiously start to walk towards it.

"Who's there?" I asked as I slowly walked closer.
"Shut up! It's Ma Shujun." She replied quietly, making me sigh in relief and glare at her.

"What the hell took you so long?!" I huffed, rolling my eyes as she slowly immerged from the bushes.
"Well, added to the fact that I had to escape, I took a bike to go here." She snapped back.
"Why are you here anyways? You're supposed to be with Y/N." She asked, making me go back to my pacing.

"Cahnge of plan. Kai Chynna made me stand guard. The police, did you make the call?" I bit at my nails nervously as I turned to look at her.
"Yeah, I did. They'll be here in a few minutes." She answered. I just hummed in acknowledgement, not really paying much attention to her, too preoccupied with my own thoughts.

"Shit." She muttered, making me turn back to her.
"What?" I asked as I watch her look up to the sky.
"We don't have much time." She said, making me look up as well. The waxing crescent is already in full view. They could be starting the ritual anytime.

"Damn it! What do we do?" I mumbled in panic.
"Here." My eyes grew as she handed me a gun.

"What the hell? Where did you get this?" I asked as I stared at the weapon in my hand.
"Don't ask. We don't have time. Just fire it, while I run to Y/N. Distract them for me." She said as she started to get ready.

"How can I be sure that you'll save her?" I questioned, narrowing my eyes at her.
"That you don't run away?" I continued.
"I already took sides when I told you the truth. There's no going back from that moment onwards. You need to run opposite me. Let's meet here when the police arrive. Until then, keep them on your trail." She said seriously.

I stared at her for a moment. Would she be worth my trust? But we don't gave time to spare and waste. I bit my lips as I hesitantly raise the gun to face upwards.

"Run as soon as you can." I muttered before tightly closing my eyes and pulled the trigger.

A loud bang rang deafeningly in the silent forest. The sound seemingly bpuncing off the trees. The recoil of the gun almost sent me down to the ground, making me stumble around before being able to run.

Where am i going? I silently cussed as I immediately heard rushed footsteps behind me. I quickened my running as I shielded myself with my arms from the hanging branches. I continued running and decide to run in a circle.

Those dumb asses didn't even notice. Soon, it started raining. What damned luck is this? It would be even harder for me to run now. The forest became even darker as the last bits of the moon is now covered by the clouds. The rain is also getting heavier, the once soothing rain drops felt like tiny pins poking my exposed skin.