Chapter 40 - Two Peas In A Pod

A/N: This is just a gentle reminder that I'm not a medical expert and I've never had a kid. However, I've googled everything mentioned. I'm learning a lot! But if something is incorrect, please be kind in your comments.

🚨 Trigger Warning 🚨
Pregnancy weight gain is discussed. Just know that Harry and I love you no matter what the scale says ❤️

To say this past month has been stressful, overwhelming and positively wonderful would be an understatement. JJ and I have taken the time to read two more books so we could learn more about what to expect with our twins and even though some of the aspects of pregnancy and delivery aren't necessarily clean and pain free, I can't wait to finally become a father.

I've felt our twins grow inside my wife's belly for a month now, felt her belly grow, I've talked to them to let them know I'm their father and that I already love them. I'm excited to meet them and I'm nervously excited for JJ and I to start our life as parents.

With each day, JJ has become more comfortable with the idea of having the twins and more comfortable with her growing body. The hormones have kept me on my toes; I don't know if she'll burst into tears one minute or jump my bones the next minute, but either way, I'm the happiest I've ever been.

I can't begin to imagine what she's feeling as a woman, but all I know is that I have to be there for her physically and emotionally and that's exactly why I've taken the morning off work so I could be with her for the second month check-up.

The smell of sanitizer and doctor office is strong, but JJ's grip on my hand that she's holding is stronger. It's been quite some time since the nurse has left our examination room after taking JJ's vitals and now we're waiting for Dr. Tate.

A huffed breath coming from the right of me makes me smile and I reach down to pet Maggie's head. "It shouldn't be much longer, Maggie. You're a good girl."

"She's excited about her little brothers or sisters," JJ says and I agree with a smile. "I hope it won't be much longer cos I'm hungry."

"M'sorry, love. Did you bring your container of grapes in with us? I'll get them for you."

She sighs heavily, "I ate them all on the way here. Should've brought more."

"We'll remember that for next time. Can you wait until we get lunch after this? Or I can go ask one of the nurses if they have any snacks."

"No, it's oka-" a couple of knocks interrupts JJ and I hear the door open.

"Is everyone decent?"

"Yes, you can come in, doctor. I'm ready," JJ answers and lets go of my hand.

"Splendid. Good morning, JJ. And a good morning to you, Harry."

"G'morning, doctor."

"It's always good to see the partner come along for the check-up appointments, and the older siblings."

I smile politely in his direction, fully knowing he didn't mean any harm with his choice of wording.

"I'm certainly lucky, and so are the twins," JJ says and I feel her hand on my shoulder.

Dr. Tate hums absentmindedly and I hear the sound of something rolling on the tile floor. "Alright, let's take a look. Shall we?"

"Y-yes, by all means, doctor, but I have a favor to ask of you. Could you use other words that don't have to do with seeing, please? Not everyone here has their eyesight. I'd really appreciate it." JJ's soft tone and compassionate words melt my heart because I know she truly cares for me.