Chapter 34 • Penalty Box

"That chapter explained so much, and it was only the first one," JJ muses, moving to sit up from my embrace on the couch and I help her with my hand on her back.

"But that's a good thing, right?"

"Yeah, of course it is. It's a tad overwhelming if I'm being honest, but the more I learn during these months, the better off the twins are."

"Our twins are already better off because they have you for a mum. You're doing everything you can to learn what to expect before they arrive, so I'd say you're doing an Ace job."

"Thank you, Harry," she touches my shoulder and I feel the seat of the couch dip down next to me. Her hand cups my cheek and it gently turns my head to face her and she pecks my lips. "Y'know, something; it all makes sense to me now."

"What does?" I curiously ask, taking her hand in mine to hold on my lap.

"You know how I've been going to the toilet a lot more than usual? Well, the book says it's because my uterus has been growing, so it's pressing on my bladder. It wasn't because of all the Ginger Ale I've been drinking."

"That does make sense because your body needs to make room for two tiny, growing humans. What else made sense to you after that chapter?"

"Uhm, my tender breasts, queasy stomach caused by morning sickness, and being tired lately, just to name a few. Those are all early signs of being pregnant. I should've known before we even went to that clinic because I haven't thrown up since I was in primary school. I have poor women's intuition, or in this case, mother's intuition. Is that even a thing?"

"M'not sure, but please don't say things like that, JJ. We weren't planning to get pregnant right now, so you weren't expecting to have these symptoms so soon. You shouldn't blame yourself for not knowing."

"Oh alright, fine," she sighs a heavy breath. "I'm too tired to argue anyways."

"Good. Not good that you're tired. I meant good that you agreed to not blame yourself," I smile softly in her direction, feeling her hand on my knee and I cover her hand with mine. "So, as your husband, I'm required to, and because I want to, take care of all of your needs and tend to you. So, how about we take that nap now?" I grin, hoping she catches my connotation.

"While I appreciate that, I think it's a little too late to take a nap now. It's almost six. We'll never be able to sleep tonight, or at least I won't. But I do have a keen idea," she says in a sly tone, taking my hand in hers and she gently pulls me up to stand from the couch.

"What's your keen idea and where are we going, Mrs. Styles? I'm intrigued."

"You'll know soon enough," she says in a taunting tone. "Just follow me, Mr. Styles. You're in good hands and we'll have some privacy right now because Maggie's still sleeping off her adventurous afternoon."

Grinning at her words, I let her guide me to what I assume is our bedroom. The hard flooring beneath my feet doesn't change to the soft carpet that I know is in our bedroom and the acoustics let me know that we're in the loo.

"What are we doing in here?"

"I'm a tad cold after being in the pool, so I thought a nice hot shower would help warm me up. Would you be interested in joining me?"

Instead of answering her with my words, I let my actions speak for themselves. I hurry to take off my shirt and fling it haphazardly somewhere in the room. She laughs at my antics while I pull down my boxer shorts and I kick them off behind me.

"Did you quit your job at the pet shelter and become a stand-up comedian and not tell me?"

"No. M'just a married man who wants to take a shower with his incredibly sexy wife. Now, I'll get the shower started for us and you . . ." I pause, reaching out for her shoulder. Once I get my bearings and cup her cheeks, I lean down and peck her lips. "And you, can get naked, and don't worry . . . I won't look."