Chapter 16 • Swear Jar

A/N: The sensitive topic of pregnancy is discussed in this chapter. Some people might view it as a positive/pro-life thing, and some might not (actual baby vs. a fetus) Please know that this is fanfiction and how I view Harry and JJ reacting to their news.

Bottom line: we should treat people with kindness, even if their opinions/views differ from our own ❤️

"How are you feeling now?"

JJ hums in thought and sighs heavily, "It still hasn't sunk in, if I'm being honest."

"Okay, that's fair since we only left the clinic about an hour ago," I reply, feeling around on my plate. "I have a few chips left. Do you want them?"

"No thanks, and if I'm being honest again, I've been sneaking one of your chips every two minutes or so."

Her blatant honesty makes me smirk and I feel around for a single chip. I tap it on the plate to remove the excess salt and vinegar that I had sprinkled on earlier and I take a bite. The salty malt paired with the potato's flavor hits just right and I nod in satisfaction, scooting my hand on the table to find my glass of water.

"We're not prepared, Harry," she says, earning my attention. "We don't have enough room. We don't have enough money. We don't have enough experience with kids. We don't have enough time. We wanted to wait at least one year after we got married. It hasn't even been a week and here we are; pregnant. We don't have-"

"Alright, hold on, love. Let's focus on what we do have, yeah?" I encourage her and she groans, clearly unimpressed by my positive suggestion. "C'mon, it'll be good for the both of us. What was number one? Ah. Enough room. We have a flat."

"Yeah, but it's not big enough."

"Then we'll move, or we can ask the landlord if they have a bigger unit available, that way it won't have to be a major move. There; conflict resolved. Next."

She breathes out a laugh, "We don't have money and from what I've heard, kids are expensive."

"Okay. This one is easy. Check our savings on your phone. I would do it myself, but since we're in public, I don't want Siri to say it out loud. Go on, love."

"Ugh, alright fine. Hold on."

While she does that, I take another drink of water and it reminds me. "Did you take those prenatal vitamins Dr. Woods gave you?"

"Yeah. One was about the size of a pill that I'd give Ophelia; my horse. It was huge, but I got it down, so I guess it wasn't that bad. Alright, m'gonna lean in close to your ear," she places her hand on my shoulder and I feel her presence close. "We have just over five-thousand pounds," she whispers and immediately sits back without kissing my cheek. "We could've had more if I hadn't gone crazy over the cute little wedding favors."

"That's something we can't change, love, so let's focus on the good part. We still have money in our savings account. I know we were saving up specifically for a home, but at least we have money to use for the baby. Right?"

"Oh God, a baby."

"Yes, love, a baby. A tiny human being that's part of you and me that we're going to love and hug and kiss and take care of. JJ, now it's my turn to be honest; besides you, this is the best thing to ever happen to me. I couldn't be happier."

She doesn't say anything and the typical sounds of the restaurant and customers are almost deafening.

"So, you're completely excited, one-hundred percent on board with this, and you're not upset that it's come as a surprise instead of being planned?"