Chapter 26 • No Questions Asked

"Mm, this is my favourite place in the world," JJ sighs, relaxing her body into mine and I agree with a hum. "I wouldn't want to go to sleep next to anyone else for the rest of my life."

"I wouldn't want that either," I grin at my joke, aiming to kiss the top of her head that's resting on my chest.

"You know what I meant," she playfully chides with a tap to my arm.

"I do, and I wouldn't want to fall asleep next to anyone else but you, JJ."

Her lazy giggle turns into a yawn which makes me yawn. I turn my head on my pillow so I don't blow my breath on her and I reach up to rub my eyes. As our bodies settle in our bed, I feel myself become relaxed and ready to fall asleep.

"I'm so worried."

Her words bring me out of any type of sleep I was drifting into and I turn to face her.

"Worried about what?"

"I'm worried that I'll let the cat out of the bag before we have the opportunity to tell everyone."

"Oh," I breathe out in relief, wrapping my arm around her waist. "We're gonna invite everyone over on Sunday. It's not that far away."

"I know, but I'm just so excited. What if your mum mentions the word baby or something related to that while we're over there tomorrow? I'll crack. I just know I'll crack and then other people will have their feelings hurt that we didn't tell them, too."

"JJ, love, everything will be fine. I promise. We'll visit with her for a bit, pick up Maggie and then swing by Trish's to pick up Romeo and Juliet and then we'll come home. It will all work-"

I'm interrupted by a loud snore and I realize she's fallen asleep. I smile fondly, pressing a light kiss to her forehead and I settle on my back. Exhaustion has taken over and I let out one more yawn, feeling sleep wash over me.

***

The sound of muffled retching stirs me from my sleep and I feel around the bed next to me. She's not there so I assume she's in the loo and not just the noise of our neighbors coming through the wall.

I pull back the covers, moving to sit on the edge of the bed and I feel for my white cane on the nightstand. As I unfold it, I stand up and count the eleven paces over to the door. Using my hand to feel on the wall down the hallway, I walk over to the loo where the unsettling noise becomes louder. I recognize the doorway and tap my knuckles on the door.

"JJ? Are you okay?"

She groans in answer and I twist the doorknob to open the door. As I walk over to the toilet, she gags and retches again. The rubber end of my white cane bumps into what I assume is JJ on the floor and I crouch down to be near her.

"It's okay. I'm here," I calmly say, reaching my hand out for her back. She breathes heavily while I stroke her back and I hear the toilet flush.

"I'm done," she says, immediately spraying what I recognize as the air freshener.

"Okay. Wanna brush your teeth?"

She hums in favor and I stand back up to get out of her way. Even though I feel quite helpless right now, I want to help. I want to be able to get JJ anything she needs. I want to feel needed. I just don't know how useful a blind man will be in this.

"Whew, that was unpleasant," she giggles, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Do you feel better?"

"Eh, a little. I researched what can help settle morning sickness and it said Ginger Ale and saltine crackers are common, but we don't have any."

"We can stop at the grocery before we go to Mum's," I offer.