Chapter 84 • One More

"Eight . . . n-nine . . . ugh, ten. Done," JJ says somewhat out of breath.

"Well, we're done with the arm exercises. Now we just have one more out of the six exercises. Am I right?"

"Grrr, yes, you're right. I hate when that happens, dammit," she grumbles under her breath.

"You should be used to it, since I'm right a lot of the time."

"Ha! When did you quit your job at the animal shelter to become a comedian?"

"Last week."

She giggles and huffs out a breath. "Those stretchy rubber band things Gemma lent me are no joke. My biceps still feel like they're on fire."

"Shall I get the extinguisher then?"

She snickers, "If it'll help ease the burn, then sure."

"Alright. If my memory serves me correctly, the leg slides are the last ones."

"Yeah. Your memory is just as good as your sense of smell," she says, making me laugh. "Okay, let's get this over with. Can you move so I can stretch my legs out for this dumb exercise?"

"Yes, I can, but let's keep positive, love. Tell ya what, I'll even sit at the foot of the bed and you can tap my hands each time. That will help us make sure we do all ten."

JJ hums and I can tell by her unenthusiastic tone that she's not thrilled about this. As I feel the edge of the bed to guide me to the edge, I wish I could do the exercises for her, but that's not realistic. Once I'm sat facing her with my open palms toward her on the bed, she blows out a sharp breath.

"Okay. M'ready. One," she says and I feel her foot tap my left hand. She slides her foot away and I feel her tap on my right hand. "Two."

"That's it, baby. Keep going. You're not in pain, though?"

"Not really pain. It's just working my muscles."

"That's good. All of these exercises will help keep you strong and to prevent bed sores and all that," I kindly remind her and she hums in acknowledgment. "I feel you slowing down."

"Because it's difficult, Harry. It takes a minute for me to move. Just-, what number am I on? I've lost count."

I take a second to think, "For every negative comment, it's minus one, so we're back at two."

"Bloody hell? You can't do that."

"I'm the father-to-be, so yes, I can. JJ, listen, I'm trying to help. I can't do much, so I'm trying to make this stressful time bearable for you. I'm trying to do what's best for our boys. I'm trying to . . . are you crying?"

"Yeah," she sniffs and I feel her leg to guide me to move up to her and I sit on the bed.

"What's wrong? Did you strain something?"

"N-no, it's just I w-wish, I wish, if it weren't for selfish me, I wouldn't be in this situation in the first place and I feel guilty. And you're so sweet and patient with me and you've forgiven me for what I've done. I just want our babies to be healthy."

Using her shoulders as a guide, I lean in to embrace her in a hug and she grasps my shoulders as if she's holding on for dear life. My family and friends weren't exaggerating when they said marriage is like a roller coaster ride. Its ups and downs are like an entire theme park.

JJ sniffs, smoothing her hands down my arms and we lean back. "I'm sorry for being such an asshole to deal with."

"No, love, you're not an asshole. You're an expectant mum whose twins are depending on to keep them healthy. And you know what? You're doing a great job."