Chapter 66 • Emergency Room

A loud burp startles me and I turn towards JJ in surprise, "Impressive, love."

"Pardon me. Please excuse me, Anne," she sheepishly says. "I couldn't control it any longer. It came out of nowhere."

"It's quite alright, darling. It's better to let it out than to hold it in."

I hum in agreement, reaching over to feel for JJ's thigh. "In fact, it's considered a compliment to the chef in some cultures."

"Well, I wasn't raised in those cultures, so I do apologize."

"No need to apologize, but I'll accept it if it makes you feel better."

"It does," JJ happily agrees, covering my hand with hers. "It also reminds me that I need to brush up on my manners and how to act proper so I can be a good example for the twins."

"Oh darling, your babies won't care if you rest your elbows on the dinner table or let out a normal bodily function. Your babies will only care about being fed, changed and loved."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I just want to be the perfect mum. I can't afford to screw this up."

"Aw, love, you're not going to screw this up. You're already a great mummy to our babies and you'll be even better when they finally arrive. They're lucky to have you."

While I believe my words, I doubt that JJ will believe them. It's difficult enough to convince her when we aren't fresh out of a fight, so now I have that to deal with and the fact she probably wants to cut off my balls.

JJ huffs a soft breath, patting my hand, "Thank you, Harry. And you're going to be a great dad."

"Huh, okay, I was fully prepared to protect a certain area on my body for your response."

"Ha! I'd never do that to you. I kinda need it for later."

"Ahem, while this is increasingly becoming a private conversation, I believe you two really were made for each other," Mum says and I readily agree with a nod.

"Sorry to give you that image, Anne. Do you se-, understand what I meant? I need to go back to finishing school."

I'm confused for a second, "Back? So you went to finishing school?"

"Mhm. Practically all of high school career. Didn't teach me much, though, as you both can tell. Or if it did, I've completely lost all knowledge of it."

Mum and JJ laugh, but it's not as humourous to me, "I didn't know you went to finishing school."

"Huh? Oh it's not like I was keeping it a secret, love. I didn't think it was that important to bring up. Besides, if it weren't for my mum smoothing things over with the Director, I wouldn't have even graduated. I guess I was one of those people who you can't teach proper etiquette, but I'll try harder now for the twins."

"I can assure you that your babies will love you no matter what, JJ. Now, would anyone care for a nice cup of tea and some biscuits?"

My ears perk up, "What kind of biscuits?"

"Does it really matter?" Mum jokingly challenges me.

"Hm, I guess it doesn't. Whip out the biscuits!"

"Excuse me?" Mum's admonishing tone catches me off guard. "Where are your manners?"

"Yeah, I might need to send you off to finishing school," JJ jokes, making us all laugh.

"That's probably not a bad idea," I agree with a smirk. "Okay, lemme try this again. Mum, would you care for some help with making the tea and biscuits? And please forgive me for not being polite before."