Chapter 73 • Little By Little

While Traci prepares the handheld device with lubricant, I notice Harry in my peripheral vision. He's quietly sitting next to me but he's not holding my hand. He's held my hand during all of our ultrasounds, so I wonder what's so different about now.

I suspect it has to do with our meeting with Dr. Tate, but he practically swept everything under the rug by saying he doesn't blame me for this.

"One arm up, please. This might be a tad cold," Traci warns.

"Oof!" I suck in a breath at the coolness of the lubricant. "It's cold."

"Sorry."

"Well, to be fair, you did warn me," I joke, making her grin and I notice Harry's reaction, or lack thereof. He's expressionless with his arms crossed over his chest as if he's still irritated.

"Alright. M'gonna move the transducer around now."

"Oh, that's what it's called? A transducer?" I laugh out loud. "I thought it was called a baby picture wand thing."

Traci laughs, "It should be called that."

"Mhm, oh that reminds me of when Harry and I first started dating. I thought his white cane was called a sight stick. Didn't I, babe?"

"Mhm," he curtly hums and I clear my throat.

"In fact, he said he'd submit it to the National Federation for the Blind. Haven't heard back from them yet."

"You two are funny," Traci says with a laugh, keeping her gaze on the monitor. "Okay, let's get down to business. This is an anatomical scan, so we'll be able to get more info on the health of the babies, check out their organs and things like that."

"Wonderful. The more we know, the better."

"That's right. Okay, here we go, oh wait. I just want to make sure that you two don't want to know the sexes of the babies before I accidentally blab it."

I look over at Harry, "What do you think, love? Wanna find out now?"

"We'll do whatever you want, JJ."

His expressionless reaction and choice of words confirm my suspicion that he's still upset with me and I don't want to find out what our babies are when we're at odds.

"I think we'll wait, Traci, but thank you for asking."

"Not a problem. Half the fun is in the surprise. So we'll just find out how they're doing in there," she says and I tilt my head on my pillow to look at the screen. My belly dips as she moves the transducer around and my eyes tear up as the beautiful black and gray picture on the monitor comes into focus. "There's Baby A."

"Oh my God, that's our baby."

Traci hums, "And it's sucking its thumb."

"Really? Oh Harry, isn't that adorable? Our baby's already sucking its thumb."

"Mhm, I heard. What about Baby B? Dr. Tate said things are more critical with that one."

"Yes, he notated that in the chart. Since I have this one in a good position, let me do the measurements and then we'll check on Baby B."

I stay quiet as if it will help her focus to get the correct numbers for my baby and I move my arm down from above my head to scratch an itch on my chest. I place my arm back up on the pillow and exhale a calming breath, focusing on the monitor.

"Baby A is a healthy sixteen-and-a-half centimeters long, which is about the size of a medium-sized banana."

"A banana? Oh that's so cute. Harry, we're having a banana."