Chapter 70 • Whatever It Takes

To say that JJ had a rough night would be an understatement. It's not that important if my sleep gets interrupted, but JJ absolutely needs her rest, which is quite difficult when she's already uncomfortable and when the nurses keep barging in to wake her every hour or so.

I suggested to her that eating breakfast will help make up for her interrupted sleep, but when her food is restricted to only healthy and smaller portions, it's hard to keep a positive attitude, and having to wait on the nurse to check on her before she can even eat makes it difficult.

I wish I could do more to help her, but I'm not a medical professional and I'm blind, so I'm pretty much useless, which is why I'm proud of the one thing I've come up with. Hopefully my brill idea will lift JJ's spirits because I don't know of much else I can do.

A loud, prolonged slurp brings me out of my thoughts and I turn my head in JJ's direction.

"Finished with your water?"

"Ahhh. Yep. I don't know what's the point since they're just going to refill it and I'll have to drink it again."

"For the good of you and the babies. Gotta stay hydrated," I kindly remind her, gently squeezing her hand.

"Yeah, I guess you're right," she says and a loud noise makes us laugh.

"Was that your stomach growling?"

"Yeah. I guess the twins are hungry, too. Ugh, it's almost seven. The morning shift nurse should be here any minute. I hope they get here fast."

"I'm sorry, love," I say, bringing her hand without the needle in it up to my lips and I kiss it. "Want me to buzz them and check when someone can come?"

"Nah, it's okay. I'm one of the closest rooms to the nurse's station so I should be at the beginning of the rounds," she reasons and I agree with a hum. "I wonder what time they'll discharge me today. I'd love to get home before lunch. We have a lot of unpacking to do and I need to get ready for work tomorrow."

"Uh, about that, Mum offered to unpack for us so we won't have to when we get home. She said she's not going to go through our things, she'll just put our clothes up so she can store the suitcases in the shed. That was nice of her to offer. Wasn't it, love?" With every second of her silence and the stillness of her hand in mine, I can feel the small hairs on the back of my neck stand up. "She also said she'd take care of Romeo and Juliet and Maggie."

She sniffs softly and I assume she's upset, so I decide not to bring up the other issue of her not being able to go to work at this moment. It would absolutely crush her.

A knock at the door interrupts our tense moment and I couldn't be more grateful.

"Hello, good morning," a friendly male voice says and I let go of JJ's hand, sitting up in the chair. I take my sunnies from my shirt pocket and unfold them to slide on my face. "I'm Spencer and I'll be your nurse for the day. I assume you're JJ?"

"You assume correctly and this is my husband, Harry."

"Nice to . . . oh, uhm, nice to meet you, Harry."

I take it by his hesitation that he's figured out I'm blind and I nod with a cordial smile, "Likewise, Spencer."

He clears his throat, "Did you stay here overnight?"

"Mhm, I did."

"That's nice. It helps when the spouse or loved one is with the patient. Makes the time go by faster and better and is overall good for their recovery," he says and JJ and I agree with a hum. "Alright, let's get down to business. How are you feeling this morning, JJ?"