Chapter 29 • The Best News

We've spent the entire afternoon waiting with Anne until my dad shows up for their date tonight. To pass the time, we've played several rounds of Gin Rummy that all three of us enjoyed thanks to the Braille deck of cards, we've snacked on the leftovers that Harry and I were supposed to take home with us, and we've went for a couple nice walks, that Maggie especially loved.

It's been a wonderful time, but the closer it gets to seven, the more I'm becoming nervous and excited because I'll get to share the wonderful news with my dad. Even before I met Harry, my dad never hounded me about when I was going to settle down, marry and have children because he respected my personal space.

I've always known he's wanted to be a grandpa, so now that he'll have two grandchildren at once, makes me extremely happy. I'm positive he'll be involved in their lives and teach them things only a grandpa can teach.

"Are you getting tired?"

Harry's question brings me out of my thoughts and I look up from the gravel pavement beneath my feet, "What? No. Why do you ask?"

"Because your gait has slowed down. Just a tad. Not that it's a problem. I hardly noticed. But if you're tired, we can go back in. Maggie's had three walks now, so she'll be fine. But this has got me thinking."

"About what?"

"How it will be when we take walkies with Maggie and pushing the twins in the pram. I'm sure they make double seater prams. Wouldn't you think?"

"Yes, they have those," I reply, placing my hand on my belly. "We'll need to browse several baby stores to pick out the things we'll need for the nursery and whatnot. Then I guess we need to start thinking of a baby shower."

"That will be fun. Don't you think?"

"Yes, and fancy this; I'm actually excited to go maternity clothes shopping."

"You should be excited, love. This is a brand new experience for the both of us."

"Of course, but don't get me wrong; I'm still scared out of my mind."

"Oh, me, too, but at least we'll have each other." Harry lightly squeezes my hand and I look over a him with a smile.

"I have my hand on my belly, just so you know."

The corner of his mouth tilts up in a smirk, "I told you that you're going to be a great mum."

"I hope so. I'll research everything I can. I'll make sure that I'm ready before the babies arrive. They deserve, at the very least, to have a mum who knows how to make formula in a bottle."

"You're not going to breastfeed?"

"I will. I was just using that as an example," I explain and he nods in understanding. "It's easy to let yourself get overwhelmed, innit?"

"But overwhelmed in a good way, right?" he asks and I don't answer. He squeezes my hand two times, signaling for me to stop. "JJ, are you feeling overwhelmed in a bad way? Like you don't want to have the babies?"

"What? No, love. I promise that thought hasn't crossed my mind. It's just, there's a lot we need to do and research and prepare and just thinking about it is scary, so I can't imagine when the time actually comes for me to have babies. I imagine giving birth to one baby would hurt, but two? It's unfathomable."

He turns to face Maggie and he pets her head, "Stay. Good girl."

He turns his attention to me, opening his arms and inviting me in for a hug. While I let my husband hold me in his arms, I close my eyes and allow myself to let go of everything that's stressing me. I know I'll have to deal with it later, but for right now, I'm going to enjoy this moment.