Chapter 2 • Won't Let You Go

It's been several minutes since JJ's breakdown in the loo and now that we're finished with our meal, I'm hoping that she'll start to feel better soon, at least physically.

I, on the other hand, feel terrible because I had no idea she felt that way about those certain things. During our pre-marital counseling sessions, the minister complimented our open communication skills, which we had worked on to improve, so I've made a mental note to give special attention to that from now on.

One of the things I've learned about JJ after being with her for almost two years now is that she bottles her emotions for a long period of time. When the pressure becomes too much, then she cracks.

I can't imagine the stress she's been under with her career and planning our wedding and the honeymoon, even with the help of the coordinator. I offered to help in any way I could, but she wanted to take on every task that she could by herself.

After these stressful few months, she definitely deserves this week to be pampered on our honeymoon.

"Pardon me, sir. Are you finished with your meal?" a man's voice on the right of me brings me out of my thoughts.

"Yes, thank you," I reply, setting my napkin on the plate.

"My pleasure, and I'll remove the dog food bowl now that she's finished."

"Thank you," I reply, reaching down to pet Maggie's head.

"And, are you finished with your meal, ma'am?" he asks JJ as I reach for my glass of water to take a drink.

"Yes, thank you," JJ replies and I feel her hand on my leg. "How was your fish?"

"It was very good. The rice pilaf was my favourite part. It was even better than I remembered at our taste testing," I say and she hums in acknowledgement. "Were you able to eat some of your soup?"

"A few bites. My stomach isn't quite settled still," she says, linking our fingers together. "I'm sorry I ruined our reception."

"What? No, love, you didn't ruin anything. I'm just worried about you. How are you feeling now? We can skip the cake and leave now if you want to rest."

"There's no need to worry about me and I wouldn't dream of leaving early, or missing out on the cake."

I grin, leaning over for a kiss and someone calls out our names, interrupting our moment.

"Oh hi there, Will and Parker," JJ says no doubt for my benefit and I extend my hand for a polite handshake which they accept.

"We wanted to congratulate the happy couple before we missed our chance."

"Thanks, mate. Are you two having a nice time?"

"Yeah, it was a lovely ceremony and the steak was top notch."

"Oh good, I'm glad to know that," JJ says in a relieved tone.

"I just can't believe our little JJ is married now."

I cough into my hand at Will's words, "Uhm, it's really just a piece of paper. Our relationship is exactly the same as before, no big life-altering changes whatsoever. Life is comfortable. The same. Wonderful, don't get me wrong. But the same. No change."

Their silence lets me know they're confused by my disjointed words, but making sure JJ feels calm is my priority right now.

"If I remember correctly," JJ begins, breaking the awkward silence, "I think the DJ's going to open up the dance floor next. Are you lads going to show off the moves you've learned in your ballroom dancing classes?"