Chapter 38 • A Night In

"Great work today, Harry. You've really gotten through to Buddy."

"Thanks, Doris. Yeah, it's taken a bit for him to warm up to me, but I think we made a huge breakthrough today. I'm surprised he even remembered me after me being gone a week."

"It wasn't that long. Of course he remembers you. Your persistence has definitely paid off," she says and I hear the jingle of what I think are keys. "Is Mrs. Styles picking you up?"

I grin at her choice of words, "Yeah, my wife should be here any minute now. I'll wait outside so you can leave."

"Okay, only if you're sure."

"I'm sure, Doris," I reply, reaching down for the harness. "Alright, Maggie, are you ready to go outside?"

She barks at the word, no doubt because she loves the outside and she starts guiding me.

"I'll get the door for you two."

"Thanks, Doris. Tell Doris thank you, Maggie," I urge with a smile and she answers with a bark.

"Aw, anything for you, sweet Maggie. There you go." The noise of outside becomes clearer and Maggie starts guiding me out of the building. I stop her so we can wait for Doris to shut the door and I hear the lock click. "I think that's JJ parked right in front."

"Really? Hm, she's a little early. There probably wasn't much traffic then," I muse to myself. "Alright, have a good night, Doris, and we'll meet you here tomorrow."

"You got it, Harry."

I grin in her direction, tugging at Maggie's harness, "Take me to the car, please." She starts guiding me and I hear a door slam shut particularly hard. "Uh-oh, did Mummy not have a good day? Can you tell me if she's smiling?"

Maggie barks and I can sense JJ's presence close to me.

"Hi, Maggie. Were you a good girl today? Yeah? Of course you were. Mm, and hello there, my handsome husband," JJ sweetly greets me and I feel her hand on my shoulder.

"Hello, my beautiful wife," I happily greet her, puckering my lips for a kiss and I hear her giggle. As her lips touch mine, I reach out for her waist and I feel her warm hand on my cheek. Our kiss is slow and simple, but still electrifying and it ends all too soon. "You're early. Everything okay?"

"Yeah, uhm, I'll explain in the car," she says, guiding my hand to the door handle. "I'll take Maggie so you can get in. C'mon, good girl. Wanna go for a ride?"

While I get inside, I listen to JJ coo at Maggie and I shut the door. I buckle my seatbelt and wait for JJ to get in. Once she's inside, the sound of the door shutting makes me flinch and I feel the car start to move. She hasn't initiated continuing our conversation about her being early, so I decide to start it.

"Was traffic light today?"

"Oh, yeah, uhm, long story short; I got sick at work right after I clocked in and I didn't feel like working so I took the rest of the day off."

"You were sick? Why didn't you call me? Are you feeling better now?"

"A bit. I got some grapes and ginger ale for lunch so my stomach is settled and my craving is gone. Well, not completely gone. I can always eat."

I smirk at her words, "I'm relieved you're feeling better. So did you go home and rest?"

"Well, not exactly. This is the part I've been dreading to tell you all day."

"What? JJ, you know you can tell me anything. I promise I won't be upset."

"I know, but . . . okay, I'll just say it. Trish and Emmet took me for a mini-makeover and shopping for some baby things and clothes for me and I know you said you wanted to be a part of every little detail, but I just had to get some clothes for work that fit my belly and I'm so sorry I went shopping for baby stuff and clothes without you, but I'll model them for you and you can feel how they fit on me and I promise we can go baby shopping this weekend, just you and me."