Chapter 23 • Double Shocked

A/N: 🚨Trigger Warning🚨
The sensitive topics of weight and high risk pregnancy are talked about in this chapter. Just know that I love you all.
Oh and there's a bit of a surprise in this chappie. Enjoy!

"I'm impressed with this clinic so far," I say, turning my head on the examination chair towards Harry. "It's very nice and so are the staff."

"Yeah? That's good, considering we'll be coming here for the next several months," Harry grins. "One thing I like is that they had Classical music playing in the waiting room instead of the news. It made it more calming."

"Oh, actually that was a music channel playing on the tellie, but I guess that really doesn't matter."

"Neither here nor there," he chuckles, wheeling closer to me in the chair.

With his hand holding mine, I turn my head to stare at the ceiling since I'm in a reclined position and I blow out a breath, trying to keep my nerves and excitement under control. This appointment is the one where I'll find out how far along I am and what all I need to start doing to prepare for a healthy baby. Even though I know Harry, and our family, will be with me every step of the way, I'm still a bit nervy.

A knock at the door startles me and I call out, fitting my eyes to the door, "I'm ready."

"Wonderful. Let's get started, shall we?" Dr. Tate says, closing the door and he walks over to me. "So, the reason for today's visit is to find out how far along you are by measuring the fetus."

"Yes, we are," I agree as if he's asking me and I exhale a breath out of frustrated embarrassment.

Even though I've had roughly ten minutes to get used to the fact that I have a male OBGYN, it's still a little nerve wracking. Here I am, practically spread eagle in stirrups and wearing a gown that doesn't even go to the middle of my thighs. The one thing that's keeping me from bursting into tears is that Harry is here with me.

"I'll just turn this machine on and are we ready to meet baby Styles?" Dr. Tate asks and I look over at Harry.

"Ready?"

He grins in my direction, "More than ready."

"Okay, now this might be a little unpleasant at first," Dr. Tate warns and I nod in acknowledgement. "As the nurse explained to you before during prep, I've put a condom on the instrument, what we call a wand, and I've spread water based lubricant on it. I'm going to insert it into your vagina, like so." I suck in a gasp of air at the pressure inside of me. "Just relax. Remember to breathe normally."

I blow out a slow breath and for some reason the rapid sonic sound waves calm me down, even though I know it's not a heartbeat.

"You can view this monitor and . . . oh."

His expression of surprise makes me tilt my chin to my chest to look at him, "Oh? What's oh? Is that a good oh or a bad oh?"

"One moment."

He's staring at the monitor and maneuvering the instrument inside of me as if he's on a mission and I swallow harshly. My heart begins to beat pound in my chest at all the scenarios going on in my mind right now and I start to tear up.

"Is the baby okay?"

That's all I can think of to ask at the moment. This isn't the reaction I was wanting from my doctor and I need to know if my baby's okay.

"There we go," he says, earning my attention. "JJ, Harry, I'd like to introduce you to Baby A and Baby B."

"Wait, what? What do you mean A and B?"