Chapter 36 • Hormones

"Shit! Oh for fuck's sake."

"What's the matter, love?" I worriedly ask, keeping my spoon inside my cereal bowl for the moment. The harsh squeaking sound of the dining chair sliding on the linoleum floor startles me and JJ seethes another curse word. "What happened, JJ?"

"Alright, if you absolutely must know, I dribbled orange juice all over my white blouse and it was the only one I tried on this morning that didn't make me look or feel like a sausage in its casing."

Since her tone is short, I know she's irritated, so I don't dare say a word right now. In this awkward silence, I can hear her huff several swear words and the water starts running.

"Nowhere in that bloody baby book did it mention there would be substantial weight gain this early on in the miracle of pregnancy," she says and the water stops. "Oh that's just splendid."

"What happened, love?"

"You really wanna know what happened? Well the blasted stain didn't come out. Now I need to find something work appropriate that will fit my already protruding belly and we're running out of time as it is and to top it off, I still need to take you and Maggie at the animal shelter. Damn, I'm going to be so late for work."

The sound of her footsteps fading away lets me know she's left the kitchen and I release the breath I've been holding. After two years of knowing JJ, I've learned to leave her be and not to get in her way when she's upset over something. It's unfortunate because we started the day off so well with amazing morning sex.

Smirking at that thought, I slide my hand on top of the table until I feel the cool glass of my orange juice and I bring it up to my lips to take a sip. As I swallow the refreshing citrus beverage, a brilliant idea pops in my head that I think JJ will appreciate.

While I wait for her to return, I carefully set the glass down on the table and feel around for my spoon. Using my fingers, I feel for some more cereal pieces floating around in the cold milk and since I don't feel anything, I realize I've eaten all of my cereal.

After gently shaking the spoon of any excess milk on it, I set it down on the table and carefully pick up the bowl. Maggie's high-pitched whimper earns my attention and I grin down to my right.

"I know. I'm sorry, but there's no B-A-C-O-N this morning. Maybe we'll have it tomorrow."

Smiling at my one-sided conversation, I slowly bring the bowl up to my lips so I can drink the last of the cinnamon-flavoured milk and I set the bowl down, exhaling a satisfied breath for the taste and the fact that I still have a dry, clean shirt.

Since JJ hasn't come back from changing her shirt yet, I decide to take my empty bowl and glass to the sink to help my wife out. She's stressed enough with her clothes not fitting properly because of the pregnancy and spilling the orange juice on her blouse, so I don't want to add to her stress.

After putting my spoon and glass inside the bowl, I reach down to feel for Maggie's harness and I stand from the table, "Take me to the sink, please."

She guides me into the kitchen and I let go of the harness to set my dishes in the sink. I feel around for the faucet to run some water and the sound of rushed footsteps and muttering capture my attention and I turn off the faucet.

"Are you two ready? We should've left ten minutes ago, but I guess it doesn't matter since I'll be late no matter what."

"Y'know, I was thinking about that and I thought I'd ask Gemma to take me and Maggie to work. Would that help you out?"

"What? No, it's fine. I'll just work through my lunch hour or eat extremely fast."

"I don't want you to do that, love. I'm sure eating fast isn't good for the twins. Or you for that matter. You go on to work. We'll be fine. I'm sure Gem hasn't even left yet." As I reach for my phone in my shirt pocket, a tiny sniff captures my attention. "Are you okay, JJ?"