Chapter 17 • Two Lines

I inhale one last breath to bide a few more seconds before I answer him and I exhale slowly to calm my nerves.

"I don't know what the average weight gained during pregnancy is because I thought I'd have more time to research this before getting pregnant. I haven't had time to research a bloody thing, but it's a little too late for that now," I pause to calm myself and my snarky sounding tone. "Anyways, you know that I'm already overweight. And I'm afraid . . . I'm afraid. I'm just afraid."

"Afraid of what?" Harry presses me for an answer and tears begin to well in my eyes.

"Never mind. It's nothing."

"JJ, it's not nothing if you've brought it up. You're obviously concerned about whatever it is. Tell me, please?" he begs, gently stroking my hand with his thumb. The sparkle from the diamond in my wedding ring makes me smile and he gently squeezes my hand. "Please tell me, love."

"Ugh, alright. It's inevitable that I'll gain more weight during these nine months, and I guess I'm afraid you'll-, I'm afraid you'll become disgusted with me."

He's silent as he takes off his sunnies and leans over to set them on the coffee table. He sits back in the sofa and turns to face me, repositioning our hands on his leg.

"JJ, two days ago, I vowed to love you until my dying breath. I'm in love with you and that means every aspect of you. You're carrying our baby now. Our baby's going to grow nice and healthy in your belly, which will require you to eat more than you usually do. You're expected to gain a little weight, so worrying about it should be the last thing on your last. No, in fact, it shouldn't even be on your list. I'm taking my imaginary eraser and erasing it from your list. Okay?"

His incredibly sweet words make my emotions get the best of me and a tear rolls down my cheek. Sniffing, I reach up to wipe it away and Harry scoots closer to me on the sofa. I smile nervously, cupping his cheek and I close my eyes as we lean into each other.

Our noses bump together, making us smile softly into our kiss and I tilt my head to allow our lips to meld together. Melodic chimes sound from his phone, ultimately ending our kiss and he reaches over to turn the alarm off.

"Ready?" he asks and I blow out a breath.

"Yeah. Is it silly that I'm nervous? I mean, we already know it'll be positive because of the clinic's results."

"It's not silly, JJ. This is your first pregnancy test . . . it is your first pregnancy test, isn't it?"

"Yes, you goof," I playfully chide, reaching over to grab the plastic stick and I hold it up to read the screen. I suck in a breath and my vision suddenly becomes blurry. "Two lines. I'm pre-, we're pregnant."

He places his hand on my shoulder, "That's right; we're pregnant. We're going to have a baby, JJ."

I grin at his words, "Yes, we are."

He leans over the seat and I meet him halfway for a kiss. "So, now that you know for sure, how do you feel?"

"I feel . . . oddly okay with it. We're gonna have a baby. Oh my God, Harry, we're gonna have a baby."

"I can tell you're crying, but are you smiling?" he asks and I take his hand to bring up to my jaw. As his fingertips feel around my lips and cheeks that are lifted in a big smile, he sighs out a breath. "The most beautiful smile I've ever seen."

I roll my eyes into as smile at his joke, moving to stand up and I guide him to stand as well. We embrace each other in a hug and I close my eyes while my husband holds me in his arms. The way his hands are smoothing all over my back comforts me and I hold onto him that much tighter.