Chapter 51 • Like A Hawk

"Oh my God, is she okay?"

"JJ, answer me, please. What's wrong?"

"Should I ring for help?"

My family's frantic murmurings sound like a flood coming all at once and I open my eyes, blinking several times. As the constricting pain in my belly subsides, I blow out a calming breath, looking around at everyone who seem incredibly worried about me.

"I'm okay now."

"Oh thank God," Harry sighs and I look over at him.

His head is down in his palm and he swipes his eyes underneath his sunnies, sniffing loudly and he blows out a sharp breath. I figure he needs to see me, so I reach over for his hand and guide it to my cheek. I press a kiss to his palm and guide his hand down to my belly so he can feel the twins. As his large, protective hand covers and soothes my belly, his worried expression eases into relief.

"JJ, tell me what's wrong, please." Mum's worried voice earns my attention and I look over to my left where she's knelt beside me. The panicked expression on her face is one I've never seen before and I can tell she's sincerely worried about me.

"I don't know what's wrong. I just felt this intense pain all of a sudden."

"Pain where? In your stomach?"

"Yeah, it felt like the pain I've been having all day in my back."

"What? You didn't tell me about that," Harry says in a firm tone and everyone becomes silent.

I look over at him not knowing how to say that I did tell him that my back was hurting earlier without upsetting him more. Now's not the time to mention that.

"C'mon, let's get you inside," Anne says, breaking the tension.

"Okay," I reply, pushing myself up using the arms of the chair and I realize both my mum and Anne are helping me stand up. I blow out a breath, smoothing my hands on my stomach and I notice Harry getting up also and he takes Maggie's harness. "I'm really okay now, Harry."

He doesn't respond, so I assume he's still upset with me.

"C'mon, love," Anne urges, soothing my shoulder.

"I'll bring your Ginger Ale."

"Thanks, Mum."

Anne places her hand on my lower back and as we start making our way into the house, I really wish she, or anyone, could just give me a back massage. "Let's get you in the recliner. It's the most comfortable chair."

"Actually, I really want to lie down. But the couch is fine. Please don't go to any trouble fixing the guest bed."

"It would be no trouble at all, but if you're sure," she agrees as we take the last steps into the living room.

"I'm sure, and I didn't mean to ruin the dinner you planned."

"Nonsense. You didn't ruin anything," she says, fitting her hand in mine. "Sit on three? One, two, three." With her help, I take a seat and she places a throw pillow on the far end seat and I carefully lie down. "There you go."

"Thank you," I exhale a breath, closing my eyes only to open them when I hear Harry and Maggie walking over.

"Here's a pillow for support if you'd like it," Anne offers and I hum in reply, lifting my leg for her to place it between my legs.

"Ah, thank you. M'just gonna rest for a moment."

"You take as long as you need. Now please let us know if you feel any pain again," she says.