Chapter 48 • Hold Onto Your Socks

"Alright, the door's open," JJ says and with the heavy gift bag in my hand, I carefully step inside. "You can set that bag down there to your right. I'll get it tomorrow."

"Okay," I reply, setting the bag down and I shake out my hand. "Maggie, come here, please." Her nails on the linoleum sound closer and I feel for the harness. "Good girl."

"Oof, I'm exhausted. I'm going to put the rest of the cake away and go to bed."

"Why don't you let me put the cake up? I'm going to the kitchen anyways."

"I won't fight with you on that," she giggles, placing the dish in my hands. "Wait. What are you going to do?"

"I'm thirsty. Would you like anything to drink?"

"No, I'm too tired to even swallow," she sighs and I try my hardest not to laugh at her dirty innuendo. "Meet you in bed soon?"

"Uhm, I think I'll stay up a bit. M'not tired yet."

"Well the mother of your twins can barely keep her eyes open, so goodnight," she says, placing her hand on my shoulder and I lean down with puckered lips and she kisses me.

"We'll be in shortly, love," I say, earning a hum and I listen to her footsteps fade down the hallway. "Okay, Maggie, take me to the kitchen, please."

She guides me the few paces over to the left and I feel for the countertop. Once I get my bearings, I slide the container onto the counter and turn around for the ice box. I grab ahold of the handle and open it to get a water bottle that I know is on the bottom shelf. As I shut the door, Maggie whimpers at me.

"Would you like a treat? Okay," I smile to myself, feeling for the canister on the countertop and I take off the lid. With a small bone-shaped treat in hand, I put the lid back on and I hold the treat down for Maggie. "Here you go." She starts chomping and I wipe my hand on my trousers to dry the bit of slobber and I grab hold of the harness. "Take me to the couch, please."

She leads me out of the kitchen for ten paces and she stops me from walking. I feel for the arm of the couch and tap the seat before I sit down. Huffing out a breath, I twist the cap on the water bottle and I take a refreshing sip.

"You can sit, Maggie," I urge her, putting the cap back on and I feel for the coffee table. After making sure the bottle is secure, I sit back into the couch and I reach into my shirt pocket. "Would you like to call Mum? You would? Okay. Siri, call Mum."

Smiling at my one-sided conversation, I bring my phone up to my ear.

"Hello, love," Mum happily greets me.

"Hi, Mum. How are you? I'm not calling too late, am I?"

"Not at all. I've just sat down with a nice cuppa before bedtime. How are you?"

"Fine. JJ and I just got home from the surprise shower my work threw for her."

"Yeah? How did that go?"

"Good, it was good. They were very generous in the gifts."

"That doesn't surprise me one bit," she says and I agree with a sigh. "Is there something wrong?" I hemhaw around, thinking of an answer. "What's wrong, Harry?"

"It's just . . . it was harder than I thought it would be."

"What was harder?"

I exhale a breath, taking off my sunnies, "I feel helpless. Useless."

"Where in God's name is this coming from?"

"At the baby shower, just certain things that happened. It got me thinking, even more, that I'm very limited in helping JJ now. So what good am I going to be when the twins arrive?"