Chapter 43 • Beautiful Canvas

"Now that we're finished with dinner, I'll clear the table. You can make yourself comfortable on the couch. Maggie and Romeo and Juliet can keep you company. I'll bring our special dessert."

I've caught Harry in mid-sip of his water and he swallows with an exaggerated exhale, feeling for the table so he can set the empty glass down.

"Alright," he grins, unfolding his white cane and he stands from the table. "Wait. That was rude of me. I can help with the dishes."

"I don't think you were rude, love. I was just going to put them in the sink anyways. I really don't feel like washing right now. I feel like dessert."

Harry's devilish smirk lets me know he's caught my subtle hint. "Then we'll do the dishes together after we have dessert."

"Deal, Mr. Head Dish Dryer," I grin, twirling the ends of my hair as if I'm flirting with my husband.

While he makes his way into the living room with the help of his white cane, I gather our empty plates that once held the delicious baked chicken and fresh garden salad that we prepared together and I carry them over to the sink. I place the dishes in the sink and run the faucet to spray some water on them to keep the salad dressing residue from sticking to them.

After drying my hands with the towel, I get the two chocolate covered strawberries from the ice box, the jar of chocolate sauce and a towel from the counter. With those items in hand, I make my way into the living room and smile at the sight of Harry petting Maggie's head.

"I'm here," I quietly say to announce my presence and Harry inclines his head toward me while I take a seat on the couch next to him. I set the items down on the coffee table and Maggie starts sniffing. "I'm sorry, love, but these aren't for you. I wonder if I should give her a T-R-E-A-T so she doesn't feel left out."

"She just had her dinner and some of my chicken," he explains, turning his attention to Maggie. "Be a good girl and go lie in your bed, please."

She follows his instruction and my vision becomes blurry at the realization that he's going to make a wonderful father. He showed authority but in a kind manner just now and that's something that will no doubt be important when raising our twins.

"JJ? Are you crying?"

"Hm? Oh, I'm fine. Uhm, I've got us two strawberries and something special to go with them," I explain, handing him the wrapper containing one chocolate covered strawberry.

"Oo, it's cold."

"Mhm. I kept them in the ice box at work and put them in as soon as we got home to keep them fresh. Ready?" I ask, picking my strawberry up and I turn to face him. "Cheers." I take a bite and instantly moan at the sweet and tart flavors melding together and I notice he hasn't taken a bite yet. "Something wrong?"

"No, love. This made me think about your appointment today when the doctor said our twins are the size of a strawberry. I was just feeling it to get the sense of what they'd look like." His sweet words take me by surprise and the tears begin to flow. I quickly swallow the bite so I can catch my breath and Harry soothes my back. "The hormones?"

"N-no, it's not the hormones this time. It's because you're so incredibly sweet and caring and I'm so lucky. The twins are so lucky. Mm, y'know the way the sweet chocolate and the tart strawberry taste together is really delicious. Whoever invented chocolate covered strawberries is a real genius."

He chuckles quietly, shaking his head, "I'm the lucky one, JJ. Trust me."

I watch through blurry vision as he takes off his sunnies, revealing his milky green eyes. He feels around for the end table to set them and the wrapper containing the strawberry on it and he holds out his arms, inviting me for a hug. A sob leaves my throat as I practically fall into his arms and I close my eyes as I wrap my arms around his shoulders.