Chapter 24 • Fortunate

The delicious aroma of our takeout makes my stomach growl rather loudly while I wait for JJ. I'm sat here on the sofa while she uses the loo and I can't help but smile at the news we received just a little bit ago.

I've been excited ever since we found out we're expecting, but now that we know we're having twins, my excitement has skyrocketed. I know we're going to be completely overwhelmed in the best possible way, but I'm one-hundred percent committed to JJ and our twins.

Before I met JJ, I resolved myself to thinking that I'd be single for the rest of my life, mostly because of my disability and partially because I was never in a relationship before. I was okay with being single, but I knew I was missing out on something great. Now, the love of my life and I are starting on this exciting, yet scary, new journey together and I couldn't be happier.

"Alright, I'm ba- aw, I told you that you didn't have to wait for me. Now your food will be cold," JJ says, bringing me out of my thoughts and I feel the seat next to me dip down.

"Of course I waited for you, love. Feel better?"

"Oh yes. And I did a little research while I was on the . . . y'know, and more frequent than usual trips to the toilet is an early sign that a woman is pregnant with twins. Isn't that interesting?"

"Hm, that is interesting," I agree. "So it wasn't just all that Ginger Ale you drank."

"That's right," she giggles. "Okay, enough with the potty talk. I'm starving. Mm, this smells so good. I'm glad you introduced me to Fortune City."

"Of course. I've told you that it was always a favourite of my mum and Gem and I while growing up. I was fortunate enough to know about this place, so I thought I'd share the fortune with you."

"Ha, nice play on words. Okay, here's your plate that you put back on the coffee table to wait for me after I specifically said that you didn't have to," she playfully chides, making me grin. "Careful. The food is still steaming. As a refresher, you have General TSO's Chicken at twelve, lo mein at three and an egg roll at nine. And here's your fork."

"Thank you. Have you got your plate?"

"I'm getting it right now. Go on and start before it gets cold. I'm not far behind."

I nod in answer, feeling around for where the chicken is in the time slot JJ mentioned and I spear one with my fork. I bring it up to my lips to test the temperature first. It's still nice and hot and as I chew the bite, I twirl some lo mein around the fork.

"Mm, I was hungry," she says with a full mouth and I agree with a hum. "This isn't exactly healthy, but I can start on that tomorrow."

"I've been thinking ever since we left the doctor's office and I want to do it with you," I say before taking a bite of noodles.

"And what is it exactly?" she giggles and I realize my mistake.

"Well, I definitely want to do it with you later, but I meant I'd like to start eating healthy with you." Her silence makes it easy to hear myself chew and I set my fork down on my plate. "We can research recipes and cook them together if you'd like. You know what I mean. I'll help you cook in any way I can."

She still doesn't say anything and I incline my ear in her direction to listen for her reaction. The only sound now is of her drinking something and the sloshing of what I assume is the ice in her cup stops. A breathy exhale makes me smile because I realize she has swallowed her drink.

"You'd do that for me?"

"Are you kidding? Have we just met? Yes, of course, love. I'd do anything for you. This is for our family; our family that we created. I'm happy to do anything, and I do mean anything, to make things easier for you while you grow our babies."