Chapter 65 • Mouse

Harry continues to speak to me through the closed door while I dab the fresh tears that are rolling down my cheeks. Ignoring his pleas, I wad the tissue in a ball and aim to throw it in the rubbish bin across the loo from where I'm sat on the toilet. As the last bit of my bladder empties, I exhale a relieved breath and tear off another small section of the toilet paper and I proceed to clean myself.

I push myself to stand up with a huff and pull my knickers and shorts up, careful to keep the elastic bands below my lower belly. After flushing the toilet, I step over to the sink and a knock at the door startles me.

"JJ, please open the door. I don't know what I was saying. I didn't mean it."

Rolling my eyes at his half-assed apology, I pump some liquid soap into my hands and proceed to wash my hands. The warm water feels nice and as I watch the soapy suds flow down the drain, my eyelids fill with tears again. I turn off the faucet and take the neatly folded hand towel from the hook to dry my hands and now my cheeks.

"Please, love. Open the door. I'm sorry."

"Ha! What are you actually sorry for?" I challenge, throwing the towel on the counter and I turn to lean against the vanity. It's silent and I cross my arms over my belly, waiting for a response. "I knew it. You're not sorry."

"Yes, I am. JJ, I should never have said what I did. Listen, can you please just open the door?"

"No. I don't want to. I don't want to talk to you because I don't feel like being talked to like I'm a child, and I really don't care to see you right now."

"Well I wish I could see you. God, you have no idea how much I wish for that."

My jaw drops and I glare at the door, "You can't play that hand, Harry. We decided that's off limits and you bloody well know it."

He mumbles an apology and I feel a dull pain in my lower back that's gotten stronger as the day's gone on. I assume it's from unpacking, but I feel the need to sit down, so I walk over to the toilet and I put the lid down. As soon as I sit down, the cracking of the plastic startles me and I stand back up. I look down behind me and notice the split down the middle of the entire lid.

"Shit!"

"What's wrong?" Harry worriedly asks and I roll my eyes.

"It's nothing. Ugh, I broke the damn toilet."

"What? Let me in right now, JJ," he says more seriously this time and he begins jiggling the locked doorknob. Huffing out a breath, I reach over to unlock the door and he pushes open the door and steps inside the loo. "Where are you? Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"Why do you care?"

"Stop being childish for one second and help me so I can know what to do. Are you hurt? Bleeding? What?"

"I'm not being childish, Harry! Stop saying that!"

"Alright, alright, I'm sorry," he says and breathes out slowly to calm himself. "Just tell me, please."

"I'm fine, but the toilet seat isn't. I need to buy a new one and replace it before your mum notices."

"Wait. That's all? Okay okay. That's not a problem. We can get one tomorrow. I'm sure Michal or Gem won't mind installing it. I just want to make sure you're okay."

I glance over at him and take in the sight of him standing there with his white cane. He's already taken off his sunnies which has left him completely vulnerable to me. His milky green eyes are wandering in two slightly different directions away from me and it breaks my heart, which I'm sure is the reason why he took them off; pity. He looks helpless and I'm sure he feels helpless right now.