Chapter 64 • Home Away From Home

"Alright, I've got the laundry bag and you've got the suitcase. It appears that these are the last items in the car," Mum says and I hear the door shut.

"Really? This is it?"

"It sure is."

"Ha, I'm pleasantly surprised, and exhausted. How many trips did we make? Like four?"

"I think it was five, but who's counting?"

"Apparently you are," I smugly reply, readjusting my grip on the suitcase handle and I position my white cane in front of me.

"Ready to go in?"

"Yeah, I want to check on JJ. Make sure she and the babies are okay."

"Listen to you being an attentive husband and practicing to be an attentive father."

"Yes, now let's go, please."

"Alright then, Mr. Impatient. C'mon. Be mindful of the gravel."

I nod in response and the sound of the heavy suitcase wheels rolling on the gravel gets louder as I begin walking and I incline my ear to listen for where Mum is walking so I can follow.

"Are Gem and Michal planning to come over tonight?"

"'Not tonight. I thought it would be best for JJ if tonight were a quiet night, to ease her into this new phase of your lives."

"That's actually a good idea."

Mum gasps in offense, "You sound surprised. Do I not normally have good ideas?"

"Oh no, I didn't mean it like that. I was just complimenting you. It's a really good idea. I mean, JJ and I have talked about this new phase, both the positives and the negatives, and I think easing her into it will definitely help. A quiet night after moving is a good idea."

"Precisely. We're at the first step of the porch," Mum warns.

I thank her and tap the end of my white cane to help me step up. The click of the door lets me know Mum has opened the door and I inhale a savory aroma that makes my stomach growl.

"The pathway is still clear."

I hum in acknowledgment, pulling the suitcase over the doorstep and I step aside so Mum can shut the door. High-pitched whimpering coming from my left earns my attention and I turn towards the sound.

"It's okay, Maggie. We're almost done, then we'll go O-U-T."

"She's been such a good girl while we've unloaded the cars. I think she's earned a B-O-N-E. Don't you think?"

"Yeah, I'll get her one after I check on JJ."

"Alright, darling. Follow me."

I follow the sound of Mum's footsteps on the hardwood flooring down the hallway and I hear JJ quietly singing. It makes me smile because I know she doesn't care for anyone to hear her humming or singing, so it makes me think she's in a good mood.

"Oh! I thought I heard you two," JJ giggles. "Is that everything?"

"It is," Mum answers in front of me and I feel her hand on my shoulder, signaling for me to stop. "I'll take that from here, darling. I'll put it next to the others against the wall, out of the way."

"Thanks, Mum," I reply.

"Both cars are empty and all of your luggage is inside this bedroom, even the food cooler."

"Oh I can empty that," JJ eagerly offers. "Is there room in your ice box? There's not a lot of cold items, though. I don't think we'd take up a full shelf."