Chapter 92 • Time Crunch

We've been waiting on Dr. Tate for well over an hour and I'm getting rather impatient. JJ has been complaining about her back feeling achy and I need to make sure she and the babies are okay. The last time she complained of her back hurting, turns out it was the practice contractions.

While I continue to gently massage her back, I can't help but worry how her discomfort is affecting the babies' health, especially Baby B. My heart breaks knowing that he could have health complications because of all this, but I've come to the conclusion that I'll be there for my babies no matter what. One thing is for sure is that I will make sure the nurses will do everything in their power to help him.

"Mmm," she hums, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Feel good?"

"Mhm. Down a little," she says and I smooth my hands down to where I feel her bare skin and I assume it's because her hospital gown isn't tied all the way. Her skin is warm and clammy, no doubt from laying down for hours. "Yeah, right there. Ooo, don't stop." Her comment makes me smirk and I breathe out a laugh. "What's so funny?"

"Huh? Oh, your comment, it just reminded me of something."

"Yeah? What?"

"Uhm, uh, nothing, love. It's not really public place appropriate."

"What are you . . . oh, God, is that all you men think about?"

"It's not all that we think about."

She scoffs, "Yeah right. Just keep massaging. A little harder."

"Ha!"

"You're just sick."

"Hey, you vowed to love me and my sick thoughts."

"I did no such thi- ow! Ow ow ow."

I stop my hands from moving, "What is it? What's wrong? Did I hurt you?"

"I-I think I'm having a-a cont- ouch! Oh my God."

"A contraction? Shit. I'll get a nurse." Fumbling around for my white cane, I feel my heart start pounding against my chest. I snap it to unfold and I hurry as fast as I can. I reach out to feel for where the door is and I pull the handle and stumble out of the room. "My wife needs help. Anybody? I need a-a nurse, please."

"What's wrong, sir?" a lady whose voice I don't recognize asks.

"I-I don't know. It's my wife. She's in pain all of a sudden. Please help her."

"I'll check on her." A waft of perfumed wind rushes past me and I turn around to go back into the room. "Mrs. Styles, can you tell me what's wrong?"

I follow the sounds of JJ's rapid breaths and painful groans until I feel the cool metal of the foot of her bed. "JJ, love, I'm right here with you."

"Lots of activity on the Toco. Heart rate's up," the nurse says and I hear JJ whimper in pain. "She's dilated one centimeter. Call Dr. Tate!"

"Dilated? Does that mean-"

"She's at the beginning stages of labour," the nurse confirms my worst fear and I swallow the lump in my throat. "We're going to page her doctor. He's still in a board meeting but I'm sure he'll get out as soon as he can."

"Yes, please do everything you can. The babies can't be born yet. I-it's too early."

"I'm aware of that, Mr. Styles, and we'll do everything we can. It might be best if you wait down the hall."

"No! I'm not leaving my wife!"

"Sir, calm down."

"Calm down? You want me to be calm? Is that how you expect someone to react in this situation?"