Chapter 46 • Surprise

"There; I think that's secure," I say to myself, smoothing the tape that's holding the paper decoration on the wall. "How does it look, Maggie?" She answers me with a bark and I grin, reaching down to pet her head. "Thanks for your help."

She barks again and the sound of rushed footsteps coming down the hallway capture my attention and I feel for the harness.

"How's it coming in here? Oh, Harry, it's absolutely beautiful," Doris gushes and I sense her presence next to me. "You did an excellent job hanging the wall decorations. It's so cheery in this drab break room."

"Well this is a cheerful occasion and I'm happy to help since it's for my wife and my twins."

"I knew it from the start, but JJ doesn't have to worry about you not being a loving and involved husband and father, that's for sure," she says and I try to control my smile and my phone beeps.

"Alarm notification: The time is four fifty-five."

"Pardon me," I say, reaching into my shirt pocket to turn off the alarm on my phone. "That's my five-minute warning. Is everything ready or do you need help with anything else?"

Doris hums in thought, "I think everything is in place. I made the punch while Cole brought in the gifts and Kayla's putting the finishing touches on the cake. I snuck a peek and it's the most adorable cake that she's ever baked. I won't tell you what it is because I want you to be surprised with JJ. Gosh, I hope she'll like this surprise shower."

"I know she will, Doris. And I wanted to thank you for putting this together for us. I couldn't have done it without your help and everyone else's help for that matter, so thank you."

"It's our pleasure, Harry. You're part of our family here at Holmes Chapel Humane Society. And don't forget that you helped put up the decorations. I know how you can get. I've known you since you were a baby."

"I know. We go way back."

"That's right. So set your pride aside and know that you were involved in this shower just as much as we were," she says in a stern tone, but I can tell she's smiling.

"Yes, ma'am," I cheese a grin at her, making her laugh.

"Alright. Now, when will the guest of honor arrive?"

"Uhm, she should be here about the same time as usual, so not too long from now. But I think she suspects something."

"What makes you think that?"

"Well, when she texted me that she was on her way, I told her to park in the car park when she gets here. Normally she just pulls under the car port and waits for me, but I didn't want her to keep the car running when we're going to stay."

"Oh I wouldn't worry too much about that," Doris says as if it's no big deal. "Alright, since we're running out of time, I'm going to check if Kayla needs any help bringing out the cake. It's a nice sized sheet cake so it's heavy. Now I've set up two folding chairs next to the gift table; one is for the mum-to-be and one is for you. Want me to show you to it?"

"Thanks for offering, but I think I'll wait outside for JJ. I'll bring her inside so you guys can yell 'Surprise!' at her. That's what makes surprise parties fun, I think."

"Sure, that does sound like fun. We can shout surprise for her," Doris agrees. "I'll keep watch through the window for when you all come to the door so we'll be ready."

"Wonderful. Alright, Maggie, let's go outside to wait for JJ. Take me to the door, please."

Twenty-three paces filled with excited butterflies in my stomach later, I feel for the door's handle and push it open. The fresh August air feels nice compared to the stuffy air inside the building and I inhale a deep breath, enjoying the warmth of the sun.