13

When Sutton got home that day, she hurried to her room in hopes her mother wouldn't see her bruise

When Sutton got home that day, she hurried to her room in hopes her mother wouldn't see her bruise. She ran into her room, locking it before she quickly went into the bathroom. She went through all her makeup, finding the right product to cover up the bruise. She finally found what she needed, applying it carefully to the spot. She winced every time the brush hit her face, Rebecca had gotten her more than she had expected.

"Sutton, honey, are you home?" Her mother yelled from downstairs.

"Yeah, ill be down in a sec," She yelled back, hurrying to finish the makeup.

She looked at herself in the mirror and was pleased with her work. You couldn't even tell there was a bruise there. She took her shoes off and made her way downstairs to where her mother was.

"What's up, mom?" She asked as she walked into the kitchen.

"I found something in the music room for you," Her mother said. "It's on the piano,"

Sutton nodded her head and made her way into the room looking at the piano. There was a piece of paper with her father's handwriting on it. She reluctantly grabbed it, unsure of what it was.

Sutton,

My first and only baby. I want you to read this whenever youre feeling down or unworthy of something. I want to remind you that God created you for a reason. You are on this earth for a reason. You are the reason I became a father and I am eternally grateful for that. You taught me that I could love someone more than myself. You taught me that there is still good in this big, crazy world. Just because I'm not there anymore, doesn't mean I won't always be there with you. If you stopped music because of my death, I want you to get back into it. You loved music so much and I'd hate for you to give it up because of me. This is what you've always wanted to do and I want you to keep doing it. You are forever my Sutty bear. Take care of yourself and your mother for me. I love you both dearly.

- Dad

Reading the letter brought tears to her eyes. She was only going into nursing because she couldn't play music without thinking about her father. But, she realized she should do it for him. Play for him. She grabbed a few of the songs they had written together and placed them on the piano, reluctant to open the instrument.

(a/n one of the songs I'm using as Sutton's is one from JATP and you'll see why in future chapters!)

Here's one thing I want you to know
You got some place to go
Life's a test, yes, but you go toe-to-toe
You don't give up, no, you grow

Her fingers caressed every single key as she played. They wrote this song when they found out her dad had cancer. He wanted them to write a song she could play in the future so she wouldn't feel alone.

And you use your pain
'Cause it makes you, you
Though I wish I could hold you through it
I know it's not the same
You got living to do
And I just want you to do it

She sang with so much passion, so much hurt. She has been holding in so many feelings about her father's death for years and singing this song is, like, letting them all out.

So get up, get out, relight that spark
You know the rest by heartWake up, wake up if it's all you do
Look out, look inside of you
It's not what you lost
It's what you'll gain raising your voice in the rain
Wake up your dream and make it true
Look out, look inside of you
It's not what you lost
Relight that spark, time to come out of the dark
Wake up, wake up

Tears were flowing down her face at this point, but that didn't stop her from singing the rest of the song. She was doing it for Dad.

Better wake those demons
Just look them in the eye
No reason not to try
Life can be a mess
I won't let it cloud my mind
I'll let my fingers flyAnd I use the pain 'cause it's part of me
And I'm ready to power through it
Gonna find the strength, find the melody
'Cause you showed me how to do it

Get up, get out, relight that spark
You know the rest by heartWake up, wake up if it's all you do
Look out, look inside of you
It's not what you lost
It's what you'll gain raising your voice in the rain
Wake up your dream and make it true
Look out, look inside of you
It's not what you lost
Relight that spark, time to come out of the dark
Wake up, wake up

So wake that spirit, spirit
I wanna hear it, hear it
No need to fear it, you're not alone
You're gonna find your way, ohWake up, wake up if it's all you do
Look out, look inside of you
It's not what you lost
It's what you'll gain raising your voice in the rain
Wake up your dream and make it true
Look out, look inside of you
When you feel lost
Relight that spark, time to come out of the dark
Wake up, mm-mm, wake up

She stopped playing and sighed. She hadn't played music since her father died, 3 years ago. It was always so hard for her to even be in the music room without bursting into tears. Her father was her best friend. She slowly wrapped the paper back up and laid it on the piano.

"Wow Sutton, that was beautiful," A voice said from the doorway.

"Owen? What are you doing here? Youre not supposed to be home until Saturday?" She asked as she engulfed him in a hug.

"They let us go home early since we don't have to be back until the summer," He said hugging the girl tight.

"So, you heard all of that?" She asked, clearly embarrassed.

"Yes, you're amazing," He said brushing her hair behind her ear. "What's on your face?"

"It's nothing, probably just my smeared makeup," She said as she grabbed his hand. "Let's go watch a movie,"

She led Owen up to her room, in hopes he wouldn't bring up the bruise again. I guess all the crying had washed away all the makeup she had put on only minutes before going into the room. She plopped down onto the bed next to Owen and gave him a soft kiss.

"I missed you," She said as she snuggled into his chest.

"You have no idea how much I missed you. Facetime doesn't do justice to how beautiful you are," He said lifting her head up so she was looking at him.

"So are you going to tell me where the bruise came from?"