16

"Sutton? What are you doing here?" He asked as the girl tried to hug him

"Here? Where I am?" She asked. "Why can't I hug you?"

"Honey, this is heaven," He said looking at her as she looked shocked.

"Am I dead?" She asked.

"I don't think so," He said as she started pacing around. "When you're fully dead that's when you can touch others and you aren't able to hug me,"

"So I'm not dead?"

"I don't know, sweetie," He said. "But, please, if youre not, fight. Fight to stay alive, unlike I did," He put a hand on her shoulder, but was unable to set it there.

"I'll try my hardest, daddy," She said crying. "I miss you,"

"I miss you, too, sweetie," He said as he began to cry.

"Don't forget about me okay?" She said.

"I would never," He said as he began to fade away.

"Sutton?" A voice was heard as she opened her eyes.

"Oh my baby, don't you scare me like that again," Her mother begged.

"I'm sorry mama," She said weakly.

"Where's Owen?" She asked looking around the room, the boy nowhere to be found.

"He's in the waiting room, wanted to give me some time to see you," She said.

"Can I see him?" Sutton asked as her mother nodded and went to get the boy.

When Owen walked into the room, his eyes were bloodshot and puffy. He practically sprinted over to Sutton and began hugging her.

"Please don't ever do that again," He whispered. "I almost lost you,"

"I'm sorry," She whispered back.

Owen climbed onto the hospital bed with and she cuddled into him. She honestly didn't know what she was thinking or why she let Rebecca get into her head. 'I really almost died' She thought to herself.

"I love you, Owen," She whispered into his ear.

"I love you, more," He said back, kissing her lips.

The next week would be spent in bed, per the doctor's orders. Sutton was not allowed to go to school until she was cleared by her doctor. They almost put her in a psych ward, since that's what you're supposed to do with attempted suicide patients, but her mother begged them not to. Owen was constantly with Sutton, besides when he was at school. He wanted to be there for her no matter what.

Sutton was beyond nervous to go back to school, for she didn't want to get anymore dirty look. There had been a rumor going around as to why she wasn't in school over the past few days. Some saying she was pregnant and the others saying it was a suicide attempt. Though everytime someone said something about her, Owen shut them up.

She never told anyone that she saw her father and actually talked to him. They would've been more upset, since she was so close to death. A knock on her door brought her out of her thoughts and made her sit up.

"How are you feeling sweetie?" He mother asked as she sat next to the girl.

"Ok, i guess," She said playing with her hands. "I saw dad,"

Mrs. Mercer's eyes went wide. "You saw dad?"

"I was so close to death that I saw him, mom," She said running her hands over her face. "He told me to fight for myself and to take care of you,"

Her mother quickly hugged her as the two began to cry. She couldn't think about the fact that her daughter almost died, but her knowing she spoke to her dad made her happy. It was like a closure Sutton never knew she needed. Closure about his death so she could move on and continue to live out his legacy.

Her mother gave her a quick kiss on the forehead and made her way back downstairs. She sighed and plopped back down on her bed, making herself comfortable. She missed her father beyond belief, but she knew he was in a better place.

"Sutton, my baby, how i've missed you," Owen said as he fell on top of the girl.

"Well hello to you too mister," She said kissing his cheek. "How was school?"

"Ya know, same old same old. Really miss you there with me though," He said rubbing her leg.

"I know, this week has really helped me though," She said.

"I know and I'm glad. Need you back to your old self asap bc i miss you," He kissed her lips quick and began to cuddle her.

"Owen im right here, how can you miss me?" She giggled.

"Sutton, youre not yourself anymore. All you do is worry about what Rebecca thinks of you," He said sitting up. "I just want the carefree Sutton back,"

He brushed a piece of her hair out of her face, which caused her to flinch back.

"I don't want you to flinch when I touch you," He whispers. 

"I'm sorry,"

"Sutton, you don't have to apologize to me," she said caressing her back. "I know what you've been through. And if you'd let me, I want to help you every step of the way."

She smiled at the boy and leaned into his side as he wrapped an arm around her waist. She wanted to get better, she really did, but would she ever get better? Would she still be in this depressive state? She honestly couldn't do that to Owen, so she knew she needed to get better not only for herself but for Owen.

——

these past few chapters have been so dark but it'll get better soon i promise :)

also go stream drivers license by olivia rodrigo!!

- jas