14

"Owen, it's nothing, i promise," She said as she sat in his lap.

"That's clearly a bruise and I just wanna know where it came from," He said taking her hands into his.

"You're gonna be mad if i tell you," She said looking down.

"Sutton, just tell me, please," He said lifting her head up.

"Rebecca was saying some things to me today and i finally stood up to her," She said running a hand through her hair. "then she slapped me,"

The boy wrapped his arms around her, unable to comprehend what Rebecca did. He knew he shouldn't have left her for so long, maybe then she wouldn't have had to go through that alone.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I didn't want to worry you," She said when they broke from the hug.

"Babe, it's my job to worry about you, but next time please tell me if something like this happens," He says brushing the hair out of her face.

She nodded and continued to cuddle into him, happy that he was finally home and wouldn't be leaving for awhile.

"You know, your dad would be proud that you finally played music again," He said.

"I figured, why stop music if that's all he ever wanted me to do? It always made me happy but I wasn't sure if i should even continue after he passed," She said playing with his hands.

"That's exactly what he would've wanted you to do, to play even after he was gone. He knew how much music meant to you and how far you could go with it. I'm glad you did it again," He said kissing her forehead.

Sutton sat and wondered what her father would say if he was still here today. Those thoughts consumed her everyday, think what could be if he hadn't passed. Would she be more into music now or would it be the same as before? She never knew how much her father actually meant to her until he died. She always loved him but never realized the true impact he left on her every day of her.

Music played such a big role in the family's life, especially her father. Whenever he helped her mother cook, he would to sing to them whatever was on the radio. Whenever he walked up the stairs, he tapped on the walls like they were drums. And don't even get me started on how that man could shred on an electric guitar. That's exactly where Sutton got her talents. I wouldn't say Mrs. Mercer wasn't talented, but she was definitely tone deaf.

The two laid in her bed, obviously comfortable. "Hello my two lovebirds," Sutton's mother said as she walked into the room, sitting on the bed.

"Hi my second mother," Owen said smiling at the woman.

"I'm cooking dinner soon and I expect both of you to be there," She said looking especially at Owen.

"Yes ma'am," He laughed as she walked out of the room. "I love your mom,"

"Me too," She said cuddling back into him.

"Mrs. Mercer, this is amazing," Owen said as he shoved a fork full of food into his mouth.

"Owen, i wish you'd stop calling me that. You know you can call me Sharon," Her mother said with a smile. "And thank you, it's a Mercer delicacy,"

Owen laughed as he continued to shovel food into his mouth, while Sutton was left moving her food around with her fork. It's not that she didn't want to eat, she just wasn't feeling up to it.