☆10☆ #philophobia

The two evenings later... (Christmas eve)

Ryxel's POV.

Two days had passed from that day when I was in the forest with Caramel and I had not heard from her since then. Was she fine? I thought to myself as I parked my car outside her apartment and moved out. I reached her doorstep and knocked for sometime but got no response. I am not the patient type. I turned the knob and to my surprise, it was open. I entered and looked around but saw no sign of her. She was not in the living room. Not the dining room or kitchen. Which leaves me with no other place but bedroom. I lightly knocked at her bedroom door but I got no response. I just opened the door. She was not inside. I started worrying but I saw her bathroom door slightly open so I suppose she is inside.

"Caramel? "

No response.

"Caramel?"

No response.

I felt a breeze of deadly silence sweep by and I did not think twice before opening her bathroom door. What is she doing to herself? Is she trying to drown herself in the bath tub? Her head was in the water with her eyes shut. There were a few bubbles coming out of the water and I thanked God that she was still alive. I sat at the edge of the tub and reached for her head; pulling it from below the water. Her eyes widely opened in fear and shock.

"What the fuck were you trying to do, Caramel?" I furiously asked.

"I swear Ryxel; I did not try to drown myself." She said with a glitter of innocence in her eyes.

"She did. That woman did." She said pointing behind me but there was no one. A river of tears was rolling down her burning cheeks. I saw the pain in her eyes. The same pain I saw when I tore her bracelet. The same pain I saw the night we were from her grandma's grave.

"I did not, Ryxel. I did-" She lost her breath and started crying out loud.

"Come here." I said pulling her to my chest and stroking her hair.

She clung to me and her nails dug into my coat. She cried so bitterly till she started shivering.

"Ge- ge- get m-me out of here, Ryxel. I don't wanna drown." She pleaded amidst sobs.

Caramel does not use informal English. 'wanna' It is just not like her. What's bothering her?

I grabbed a white towel that hang from her sink and placed it over her shoulders prompting her to get up from the bath tub. But she still didn't move out. Her legs shook vigorously and I for a moment I was afraid she would fall. So I picked her up and carried her out.

"I don't wanna drown, Ryxel." She cried and clung tightly to me.

"I won't let you drown, Caramel." I assured her.

"He also said the same but he lied. He lied, Ryxel." She cried.

Who was he?

I wanted to ask but I was not going to unless she wanted to tell me herself. So I dried her hair and dressed her up in her pyjamas. She did not oppose. And I put her to sleep. I tried to get up but Caramel had clung to me. I have no problem with that. I slipped off my shoes and lay close to her and held even closer to me. Her vanilla scented hair just below my chin. I could feel her breathe in bits. As if fighting back the urge to cry the more and sleep at the same time. But she eventually slept.

In her sleep she said something like... "It was papa who lied Ryxel. He promi- promised."

I stroked her hair and she stopped talking and slept.