☆28☆ A little help wouldn't...

"Miss!"

"Yes, Councillor Karta."

"Come here please." Karta signalled the receptionist to where she was standing.

The woman obediently obliged.

"Is Miss Karmale in her office?"

"No, miss."

"And how is that possible?" Karta raised a brow. "I thought she had returned right back here when she just dashed out of the restaurant without saying a word to anyone." Karta whispered to herself.

The receptionist heard only her first concern and not the last one so she responded accordingly.

"Miss Karta. Councillor Kane did not return with you all after lunch break. I thought she may have escaped my eye while was engulfed in some other business but not at all. I really had not seen her. Some of her clients came by and I called on her office phone but did not get any response. All my attempts were met with a dead end. I went to her office directly and was met with a well organized desk. Nothing more or less."

"It's okay. Thank you. Go back to work please."

"Okay." She nodded lightly.

"That's weird." Karta thoughtfully tapped a file on her left thigh and then on her opposite palm that was free.

"I know." Someone said from behind her.

"Oh my God!" She skipped instinctively touching her chest and turning around to see who it was who had frightened her getting her off guard.

"Oscar! Oh my God you freaked the hell out of me. And how do you have a woman's voice?"

"Hahaha. That was not me." He said moving to reveal another woman who also worked with them.

"What's your problem, Oscar? What are you doing here?"

" I just enjoy taunting you, that's all. Otherwise, I'm out of here. You ladies can gossip as I suspect you are going to do." Oscar left.

"Karta, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Karmale's absence is weird."

"Forget her absence. Her first disappearance, then her return. It's all fishy."

"I know. It's quite suspicious. That's not the issue at hand though. The current issue is why she is not here right now? And why didn't she have lunch with us?"

"Yes! There is a whole story to it. Let's fix the dots. It will eventually lead to something." Karta excitedly said.

"Of course!" Her friend shouted with the same energy and excitement.

"Sooooo?" Karta shrugged.

"So, Karmale went to the ladies room and?" She intentionally stopped mid way and posed a question in order to tempt Karta's tongue. It worked.

"And Marie followed her. They took hours there. Marie only came out when we were halfway the meal. She handed her credit card to Mr. Hawkins and fled."

"Yeah, after another fifty six minutes- no let's say a whole hour-"

"It wasn't that long. Karmale spent only thirty more minutes and came out-"

"Karta, let's not stress about time. All it is there to say is that she came out and left without saying anything to anyone."

"Yeah. But I'm sure they were thirty minutes only. I'm good with the observation of events around me." Karta said with a lot of certainty though her face bore a bored and dismissive look.