Chapter 47 - One redhead, two redheads

"So, what do you think we should do?" asked Sam.

"We did what we should do," replied Dean, disgruntled. "Now I don't know."

"I mean, do you think it's possible we could... I don't know... make it all work somehow?"

This was so typical of Sam. The normal non-bitchy Sam. Always trying to find the upside of things, even when things could not have gone deeper down the drain. Dean hated when his brother played the eternal optimist, but someone had to.

"I have no idea," he said. "Maybe, I've never heard of it. But you know what I do know? It ain't the natural order of things. Everything is supposed to end. You know, he was supposed... And now... What are the odds this ends well?"

Sam gave an understanding nod and looked out of the window of the car's passenger side. Dean threw a glance in the rear-view mirror. The back seat was empty, but just because he couldn't see anyone did not mean there wasn't someone there. Because they now knew there was.
Bobby hadn't crossed over to the good side. He wasn't up in Heaven with Ellen and Jo and their parents. Stubborn son of bitch ditched his reaper and bound his ass to his flask. Since Dean carried it around with him, it explained everything, of course. The wonky EMF readings, certain objects moving around them...
A small part of Dean was glad Bobby was still around. A very small part. But really, he was just angry. Angry for Bobby having done this, all because he wanted to finish his hunt on Dick Roman. If he didn't find a way to cross over himself pronto, Dean would have to force him by burning the flask. Either that or risk Bobby becoming the very thing his family had been hunting for years. He wouldn't allow Bobby to become a vengeful spirit. He just wouldn't.

They drove for a few more hours before pulling over at a motel a couple of miles away from the state line of California and Nevada. They checked in, and Sam went out to get them a bite to eat whilst Dean got their stuff into their room.
Just when he was about to kick back on the bed, remote in hand, he heard a surly voice.

"Sure, make yourself comfortable. It ain't like you got anything better to do. Would your majesty like me to fluff his pillow too?"

Dean jumped back up, swearing loudly.

"Bobby! What the hell, man?! You almost gave me a friggin' heart attack."

"Well, misery loves company."

"Hey, you're the one who chose this, so don't come complaining to me about it now."

Bobby huffed and puffed, rolling his eyes at Dean.

"Ya good for nothin'. Look, I didn't stick around to fight you. I stuck around to help you idiots gank those Leviathans. Like it or not, I'm here, and I'm helpin'. You wanna burn that flask after we finish the job, be my guest. But right now, you gonna shut that smart mouth of yours for 5 minutes and you're gonna listen to me."

Even as a ghost, Bobby was still pretty impressive. And bossy too. Dean felt like a 15-year-old kid again, getting his ass scolded for pulling all kinds of crap. He threw his hands in the air, admitting this round to Bobby, and waited for the ghost to continue.

"You gotta find Allegra and tell her about your little trip to the future."

"How did y-?"

"What the hell did I just say?!" Bobby cut him off angrily. "Shut your yap and listen! Yes, I know about that. I didn't travel with you because you kept my damn flask in the car, but I did overhear what you said to that angel when you got back. Dean, you can't keep this from her. She has the right to know. At the very least, tell her she needs to go home because Gabriel hid something on the prophecy there. Kid's been trying to find answers for years now."