Chapter 72 - A stick and a line... or two

Though it had been hard not to give in to their urges again, Dean and Allegra agreed merely to sleep with each other in the non-biblical sense for at least a week. They had a brief lapse after getting a message from Turiel that Sam had been dealt with, but halted before getting to third base, albeit with great difficulty. The pause in their otherwise passionate activities gave them both some time to think things through. Especially Allegra. 

Her love and lust for Dean had moved her to bring some of her walls down. She used to hate it when people displayed affection for each other so openly, but now understood why they did it. Without realizing it, she had become one of those people, holding hands and kissing Dean in public when they were out on a date without caring what other people might think. She loved him, and he her, and anyone who had a problem with that could stick it where the sun didn't shine. And though Allegra was still self-conscious about the scars on her back and refused to wear anything that showed too much of them when they went out, she allowed Dean to see them in private. He had made her lie face-down one evening so he could massage her mangled skin and kiss each scar with his soft lips. It was such bliss to have someone accept every part of her just as she was. 

But being so besotted with her boyfriend had made her careless as well. Not using protection during sex was starting to feel more and more like a bad move. Not because she was afraid of some STD; their relationship was strong enough to trust each other with that. But it could have other repercussions. And the more Allegra thought about that possibility, the more she dreaded it. 

I could just take the pill, she pondered while doing the groceries in the local Target-store. I can easily get a prescription from the doctor or online. Dean wouldn't even have to know that I'm taking it. I can keep it in my purse, and... God, what am I thinking? Of course I have to tell him! We're in this together. I jump, he jumps. I'll talk to him about it tonight over dinner. Yeah, that's what I'll...

Allegra's train of thought stopped when she noticed the aisle she was standing in. Dozens of packs of sanitary pads and tampons were staring her right in the face. She cocked her head, brows furrowed in concentration as she did the math. Her eyes widened. 

Oh, God... Oh crap!

It couldn't be. Not yet. But as she counted again from the last time she had her period, she realized with a shock that she was already four days late. Her grip on the grocery basket tightened, making it shake beside her.

Okay, don't freak out yet. It's not the first time you're a few days off. It is the first time after sex, though. But honestly, what are the chances that I'm... that I'm already... Oh, son of a bitch!

"Allegra, that you, honey?"

Her head snapped up to see Lorelai coming straight toward her from the other side of the aisle. The skip in her step made her black curls bounce around her head. 

"Fancy meeting you here," said her friend. 

"Hi, Lor." Allegra offered her a weak smile, unable to say or do much else.

"I'm doing trivia again tonight. You and your hubby coming? I'll save you your usual table."

"No, I don't think so. I'm sorry, Lor, I have to go. I'll see you around."

Allegra tried to walk past her, but the other woman halted her by gripping her wrist. 

"Hey, wait a minute, are you okay?" she asked, concerned. "You look very pale. Something happen? You and Dean doing good?"

"Yeah, we're good," answered Allegra. "It's nothing with him. Or maybe it is, I... I don't know."

Lorelai narrowed her sable eyes at her for a moment before looking at the products in the aisle. Allegra held her breath. Nothing went past her friend. She would figure out what was going on in a heartbeat. And by the understanding expression she suddenly held, it looked like she already had.