Chapter 44 - The return

'Our son... Save us!'

Dean smacked down on the ground, feeling like he got hit by a bulldozer. He scrambled up to his feet, eyes frantically searching everywhere for Allegra. But she was gone. So was the barn, the house, Crowley, the demons... He was back in the park in Oregon.

"Do you know what to do?"

He whirled round to see Turiel standing behind him, hands behind his back, awaiting Dean's reply. Still feeling the sting of getting zapped through time and landing on his ass twice, Dean just nodded.

"Good," said the angel approvingly. "Then I will take you to her. We must hurry; I fear there is already a change in the future you saw, and not to our benefit."

"Wow, wow, back up a sec." Dean stepped up to Turiel before he got zapped out again. "That boy, Allegra told me he's... he's our son?"

Saying it out loud didn't make it any less incredible. He, Dean Winchester, would have a son with Allegra. A son! If he hadn't seen the boy with his own eyes, if he hadn't heard the words come out of Allegra's mouth himself, Dean would've thought it was all a big joke.
Turiel nodded, a hint of sympathy (or was it pity?) in his expression.

"How?!" demanded Dean. "I mean, I know how, but..."

"From what I gather, you will broker a deal with Michael. You become his vessel on the condition that you are allowed one night with Allegra as yourself. He ensures then that she falls pregnant with your child."

Dean gaped at Turiel. He tried to wrap his head around the fact that Heaven's head douche-bag could control even that.

"It won't be until the boy's 13th birthday that it will be revealed he is not the Seraph of prophecy," continued the angel. "As Michael is not in control of you when you lie with Allegra, only her powers are passed on."

"Well, what the hell does your boss do to make sure Lucifer doesn't become a baby daddy to the real deal?!"

"Michael does nothing, you do. A small vial with a dark substance, which you keep for Allegra, I believe? You return it when you part with her. Michael warns her she will bare your child, so she waits until after the baby is born to drink it, thus ruining both Lucifer and his own chance of ever fulfilling the prophecy. In retrospect, it is the most desirable outcome for us."

Dean glanced at Baby. At where the vial was now. Anger rose inside of him. How?! Just how could it all get so screwed up?!

"And Lucifer?" He gritted his teeth. "If the kid isn't his, why doesn't he kill him? He holding him as leverage or something?"

"Perhaps against Allegra, to ensure she does not go to Michael's aid. Of course, it also helps that she gives no cause to make Lucifer believe the child is not his."

Dean felt his stomach churn. Just the thought of Allegra being with that bastard, doing all she can to make him believe he actually fulfilled the prophecy with her... It was sickening.

"So... So, you're really telling me that after everything you sons of bitches put her through, that is Allegra's future?! To be Lucifer's prisoner and his... his wife until he finds out she lied to him?! Until he kills her and my son?!'

"Dean, it is precisely because we don't want this for her that we decided to intervene. I wish we could do more; believe me, I do. But the sad truth is that there are simply not enough among the angels who wish to give Allegra a fair chance to shape her own destiny. I, for one, am confident that you play a great role in her future. Perhaps the prophecy may never need to be fulfilled after all. And who knows, perhaps there may even be a way for you and Allegra to have the son you saw in a regular way without needing Michael. But the one thing I am certain of is that if she remains within reach of Lucifer now, she will be corrupted. You have to stop that from happening. Or all will be lost."