Chapter 68 - We don't talk about...

"Alley? Alley, wake up."

Allegra drowsily opened her eyes. She needed a moment to remember she was on the couch. Dean sat on the edge beside her. She smiled up at him, but the smile quickly faded when she noticed his serious expression. 

"What's wrong?" she asked, concerned. 

He looked down, prompting her to follow his gaze. Her phone was in hand. 

"New case?" Allegra propped herself up a bit.

He pressed his lips together. She frowned at him. 

"What? Was it Lorelai? Did something happen to her or her husband? Or Mrs. Robinson?"

Dean shook his head. Why wasn't he looking at her?

"Dean, who called?" insisted Allegra, getting really worried now. 

"Sam."

She gasped. Of all the names he could've said, she certainly hadn't expected that one. 

"Wha-What did he want?"

"I don't know. It went to voicemail."

Dean tapped the phone against his fingers and held it out for her while keeping his gaze averted.

"Here," he said. "It could be important."

When Allegra didn't take the phone from him, he put it on the coffee table. 

"I'll be in the kitchen."

He got up from the couch, but it didn't change anything about the weight Allegra felt around her. It was stifling, nearly suffocating. She didn't understand. Why would Sam call her now? He ignored those few text messages she sent in that first week after breaking up. And she only sent those because she'd been holding out on a tiny ray of hope that Sam would still come to help her find a way to save Dean and Kevin because it was the right thing to do. But he hadn't. They hadn't been in touch for... what, nine, ten months now? 

Something must've happened, thought Allegra. Why else would he call me now? 

She swung her legs off the couch to sit up and reached for the phone. But just as she was about to grab the damn thing, her hand froze over it. Her head turned toward the dining room. 

Oh, Dean...

***

Don't go back in there, don't go back in there, do not go back in there! Dean paced restlessly around the kitchen. You can't do this again. You can't freak out whenever Sam pops up around Allegra. It's just a coincidence he's calling right after we... No, screw it! It means nothing! He can't possibly know you're back and that you've been with Allegra all this time. And even if he did, it wouldn't change a damn thing. She wouldn't have slept with you if she didn't love you and you alone. So you're gonna stay in here, and you're gonna suck it up, and you're gonna trust and respect whatever she decides to do! Don't be a little whining bitch again, Winchester! That's Sam, not you! You've grown, so man up, dammit!   

His balled fists trembled beside his body. A haze fogged up his view. He had to summon every ounce of willpower to stay where he was, but he wanted nothing more than to march right back into the living room and throw that goddamn phone out the window. 
When he suddenly caught Allegra's figure standing on the threshold between the kitchen and the living room, he froze mid-pace. His breath caught. Did she listen to the message already? He had only left the room a minute ago. 
She slowly walked up to him. Dean glanced down, but her hands were empty. Where was the phone? He gasped at her gentle, warm touch as she cupped his face.