Chapter 19 - The way of truth and love

"Allegra, can you hear me? I need your help."

Dean had tried to think about Allegra as little as possible since they'd last spoken since that was what she wanted, and he had no desire to continue fighting with her. But things with Sam had gone on for long enough. He needed her now more than ever.

"Alley, please, I..."

"I'm here."

Dean spun around when he heard Allegra's voice behind him. His heart soared and sank at the same time. Every time he left, he felt bad. Every time she left, he felt worse. Every time they met again, it was pure agony.

"Wasn't sure you were gonna show." He smiled weakly at her.

"Well, it was either showing up or listening to your stalker voice in my head for the next couple of hours, so yeah, easy choice."

Dean rolled his eyes at her, laughing at the joke on the inside. 

"What's wrong?" she asked, her tone more serious then.

"Everything. I messed up with Lisa. And Sammy... Something's wrong with him. He watched me turn into a vamp like..."

"Wow, what?! You turned into a vampire?!" Allegra was at Dean's side in a heartbeat, completely frantic, and took hold of his face. "How?! When?! Why the hell didn't you call me?!"

"Hey, hey, calm down. I'm fine. See, no fangs."

He raised his upper lip to show Allegra he was indeed fang-free. She let out a breath in relief and relaxed a little.

"Don't scare me like that, you stupid idiot," she mumbled.

"Sorry," he apologized with a grin.

She didn't let go just yet. Their eyes met and Dean's grin wavered. His body moved on its own and he leaned in. Allegra recoiled and let go of his face. She cast her eyes down and put a lock of hair behind her ear.

"You euhm... You were saying? About Sam?" 

Part of Dean felt disappointed at her action. But the other part was glad of it. Now was not the time nor place. He had to focus on the problem at hand - his brother.

"Things were muddled at first, but I remember now," he said. "I saw him smiling when that vamp bit me. Like he wanted it to happen. It's like... I don't know. It's Sam on the outside, but..."

"Not on the inside," finished Allegra. "Yeah, I've been noticing that too."

Dean sighed and sat down on the bed, mentally exhausted. She knelt down in front of him and put her hands on his knee.

"There's something you should know. When Sam came back, he still had some of Lucifer inside of him."

"What?! Why the hell didn't you tell me this before?!"

"Relax, I took care of it."

"You did? How?"

"My grace. Since I'm part Archangel, Castiel figured I could cast whatever remained of Lucifer out of Sam's body completely. He helped me tap into it. I guess it was a one-time fluke 'cause I haven't been able to do it again."

Dean noticed her hesitant look then.

"There's something else, isn't there?"

"Maybe... I'm not sure. Just...every time I lock on to Sam's soul, I can't find him. Even when Sam's right in the room with me. And before you freak out, it could be nothing. Just a weird-ass side effect from being the creep's vessel for so long. You get all scrambled on the inside; I suspect it's normal you need some time to get over that."