Chapter 40 - So pretty in your pain

The continuous and very annoying beeping next to her woke Allegra up. At first, she thought it was the stupid alarm clock her father got her for Christmas one year. But when she moved her hand to shut the damn thing off, her hand bumped into something. Or rather someone
Allegra looked down and saw a man sleeping, his head resting on the bed right beside her hand. Confused, she looked around. Upon seeing the white hospital room, the IV drip, and the machines she was hooked up to, she was immediately reminded of where she was. And of what had happened.
Her eyes were drawn back to the person sleeping beside her. Shaggy brown hair... Sam Winchester. She put her hand gently on his head. He stirred.

"Sam? Sam, wake up."

The sound of her voice pulled Sam out of his sleep, and he jerked up.

"Allegra! Hey, how euhm... h-how you feeling?"

"I'll be fine. Angelic self-healing powers, remember?"

He smiled, lowering his eyes shyly. Allegra tried to push herself up so she could sit more comfortably. Sam came to her aid when he saw her struggle. She blushed at his touch but didn't do anything to push him away.

"Where's Dean?" she asked quickly, not seeing the other Winchester in the room.

Allegra believed she saw Sam's expression harden for a moment.

"Around," he replied, sitting back down on his chair. "Taking care of things for... for Bobby. He... didn't make it."

His voice trembled a little.

"You tried," said Sam then. "But..."

"I wasn't strong enough," finished Allegra, casting her eyes down.

"No, you can't blame yourself, Allegra. I saw what happened with that angel out in the parking lot. You asked for help and fought to get back here. You did everything you could to fix things."

Not everything, thought Allegra miserably. If only you guys knew.

She suddenly became aware that Sam was holding her hand in his. He caressed her skin with his thumb. It was such a simple gesture. But at that moment, it was the most comforting feeling Allegra had had in a very long time.
Footsteps outside the room prompted Sam to let go. They both looked up, expecting Dean to stand in the doorway, but instead, a nurse came in holding a blood bag.

"Oh good, you're up. You had worried there for a sec, honey. You sure lost a lot of blood, so we're just gonna put up another one of these. If you don't have any pain and tests come back okay, you can leave with your cousins."

"No, wait." Allegra stopped the nurse before she could hook the blood bag up for another drip. "That won't do any good, I have..."

"Golden blood. Yeah, we know, hun. Your other cousin warned us in time and donated three full bags. That isn't normally allowed, but considering the situation, we made an exemption. We didn't have time to test it since there was some urgency to it, but he assured us it was good as he'd done it before. Said you always end up saving each other. Golden blood is incredibly scarce, but to have two persons of the same family with it? You guys are lucky to have each other."

Allegra glanced at 'her cousin,' but Sam avoided her gaze and seemed to have found a sudden interest in his shoes. After the nurse left, Allegra shot Sam a hard look.

"Sam, where's Dean?" she asked him again.

"Just, you know, signing papers and stuff," Sam replied unconvincingly.

"Oh, so the 'other cousin' is just some stranger who knows I don't have a blood type?"

"Euhm..."

"Sam!"