Chapter 16 - Unleashed

The angel looked at Allegra with an amused expression. She remained at what she deemed to be a safe distance. The grin on his face didn't bode well. Just because he was an angel, didn't mean he wouldn't attack. 

"How the hell did you get in here?" she demanded.

"Oh, very simple, really. I tethered myself to a portion of the Staff. You see, I knew you would come in the picture sooner or later, trying to get this. Nice work on the wards, by the way; I felt the sting when you pulled me, or rather the Staff, in here. It'll take Castiel a while to break through those, which gives us time to set a few things in order."

Balthazar pulled the Staff's bottom piece from his inside jacket pocket. He picked up the one that was on the ground and held out both pieces to her.

"First things first, this is what you want, right?"

Allegra eyed him suspiciously.

"You're really gonna hand over the other pieces just like that?"

The angel sniggered.

"You're not a person who easily trusts someone, are you?"

"Getting lied to will do that," answered Allegra curtly.

"Point taken. But I have no intention of harming you, nor lying to you. I have no reason to do so. I needed to talk to you, but I couldn't get to you directly. The Staff seemed a good way to get your attention."

He waved the pieces of the Staff in front of her, prompting Allegra to finally take them from him. There was a loud rumble outside the safe house. Balthazar sighed.

"Oh dear, baby brother has found us already. Right then... I take it Crowley has given you the papyrus scroll?"

Allegra's eyes widened.

"How the hell...?"

"I gave it to him, via various intermediaries. Not important. What is important is what you are going to do."

"I don't have to do anything. Lucifer and Michael are trapped."

"It's called a prophecy for a reason, Allegra. They always come true, one way or another."

Another thunderous roar echoed through the night. The wind was pounding on the door, the windows, the walls even. So far, Allegra's wards were holding, but it would only be a matter of time before they cracked.

"You're the Daughter of Heaven," said Balthazar. "God created you to be either our savior or our doom, so you better decide which side you want be on and bloody well do it fast. Time is running out for us all."

The very foundations of the safe house trembled at the next thunderclap. Allegra had to steady herself, but Balthazar didn't seem to have any trouble whatsoever to keep himself upright. But his agitated expression betrayed that what he had said last turned out to be more literal than he had meant to. They really were running out of time.

"You can't escape it, Allegra. So I beg of you, forget what we have done. The lies, Gabriel... Forget it all and make the smart call, girl. We need that child to be on our side."

"Wha- child? What child?!"

A white light burst through the safe house, blinding Allegra. She was thrown across the room by an invisible blast and landed hard against the wall. Before she lost consciousness, she could vaguely distinguish another angel in the room. An angel with black hair, a stern expression, and a beige trenchcoat - Castiel.

***

Birds were chirping somewhere nearby. The sound was a bit high and aggravated Allegra's headache. She tried to open her eyes, but the light around her was too bright. Her head was pounding, and she felt sick. Carefully, Allegra rolled over on her stomach to find that she wasn't in the safe house anymore. She was outdoors, lying in grass. Her senses were slowly getting better, and she could hear water rushing beside her. A river, maybe...