Chapter 38 - Alone with you inside my mind

The angels welcomed Allegra with open arms. Well, most of them, anyway. Some were a bit reluctant, considering she resisted them these past years, but Naomi told them to let bygones be bygones. What had happened in the past should stay in the past. This was an opportunity for them all to move forward. They would work together, learn from each other, and become the family God had intended them to be.

Naomi brought Allegra to a forest where a path illuminated by lanterns led up to her new home. The two-story treehouse didn't seem that big when looking at it from the outside, but it was just huge. No doors, though. Every room crossed smoothly into the next one. Kitchen, living room, bathroom, all the basics were there and more too. There was a music room with a piano and violin, which Allegra carefully touched as she walked past it, and an entire case filled with CDs, sorted by genre and then again by singer, band, or composer. The upstairs was one big room with her bed and an entirely new wardrobe. And thousands and thousands of books. 
If Allegra could've wished for any home to live in, this would probably be it (with some slight alterations in the decor here and there and maritime scenery instead of a forest, but whatever). It really was Heaven. But despite the prospect of a new home and somewhere she could belong, Allegra still felt like her heart had been ripped out of her chest.

After Naomi left her alone, Allegra randomly reached for something that appeared comfortable to wear and then crawled into bed, the soft sheets and feather pillow creating a warm cozy shell for her to retreat in. Hidden, alone and (hopefully) finally safe, she closed her eyes. But she didn't sleep. If she slept, she would no doubt dream about him and about how it could've been. And then she would wake up to find Dean wasn't with her and that the nightmare was, in fact, real, and the blissful dream was nothing more than that.

***

"Focus on your breathing, Allegra," said Naomi as she stepped around her. "Calmly. In... and out. Better. Now try again."

Allegra dug deep inside her to reach her grace and awaken it, but once again, she came out with nothing.

"You're not concentrating," reprimanded the angel behind her.

"I am, Naomi! It's just not working this way. I'm not feeling what I felt when my grace surfaced before. This whole meditation thing isn't gonna cut it."

"It's not working because you're not thinking about your grace. You're still thinking about Dean Winchester."

Allegra felt Naomi's eyes burning in her back. She wouldn't admit it out loud, but the angel was right. She was thinking about Dean. And about Sam and Bobby too. Part of her wanted to return to them. But the voice of reason in her head (and also Naomi's) told her to stay up in Heaven, where she was safe and where she could learn more about her grace and powers.

"Allegra, look at me."

She turned around with a sigh. She expected Naomi to give her a lecture or something, but instead, she saw what could almost be described as a sympathetic expression.

"Tell me about him," said Naomi.

Well, she sure hadn't seen that one coming.

"What?"

"Tell me about Dean. I don't mean how you met or the things you've been through together; I know most of that. I want to know what he is to you."

Allegra sat down on the first step of the bridge leading up to her house and put her hair behind her ear.

"Dean's... well, I'm not sure how to explain this." She pondered, searching for a good way to illustrate her words. "Do you know what a movie is? Or a fairy tale?"