Chapter 10 - Loss

Somehow, they managed to get all four rings. And Bobby was walking again thanks to his deal with Crowley, a Crossroadsdemon who was helping out to save his own skin and that of his fellow demons (or so he claimed). So far, the good news. Now came the tricky part; open the Cage and get Lucifer back in. And Sam was willing to be the bait.

Having joined the Winchesters mid-hunt for the Horsemen hadn't given Allegra much time to be alone with Dean, which was fine. They'd been a bit surprised at her new 'don't give a damn' attitude, but that was the part she decided to play, and she was determined to keep up the act. Allegra wasn't the broken girl she was when she left all those months ago. But neither had she healed. Her smile had become her mask. One she wore all day, all night.
Yet seeing Dean struggle with the decisions ahead made it hard for her to keep the mask on. He made a deal with Death to get the last ring. One he hadn't really intended to keep, but now it seemed he had no choice in the matter. Sam had to say yes to Lucifer. There was no other way.

Allegra watched him from the doorway. Dean was leaning against one of the wrecked cars in Bobby's salvage yard, keeping an eye on Sam, who stood further ahead near the Impala. She took a deep breath and walked over to him. He turned around at the sound of footsteps on the gravel, and Allegra stopped at what she believed to be a safe distance.

"You okay, Dean?"

"Just peachy."

She drew closer.

"I euhm... I overheard your talk with Bobby."

Closer.

"If there's anything I can do?"

"Not unless you have another way to stop Lucifer."

Allegra wanted so badly to tell him what he wanted to hear. That Sam didn't have to be sacrificed. That he wouldn't have to go through losing another family member. But she couldn't bring herself to tell that lie. She sighed.

"I've tried, Dean. But I don't think there is."

"You have the power to summon the ten plagues of Egypt on his ass, and you're telling me that's gonna do squat?!"

Dean stared at her in angry disbelief. Allegra didn't know what to say to him. The simple truth of the matter was that she wasn't sure of anything when it came to her powers. If she used too many of them at once, they drained her. 

Gabriel hadn't died in the cabin in Alaska, even though she hit him full-on with that last lightning bolt. The only power that might really finish Lucifer off was the plague of the firstborn, but she didn't even know if he was a firstborn. And she could never risk using that one with Dean around, even if she could keep him safe with her protective shield like she had his father and Bobby all those years ago. 

"I'm sorry, Dean."

Allegra turned to leave.

"No, wait! Don't..."

She halted at his voice. Gravel crunched as he walked to her.

Dean, please don't...

"I don't know what to do, Allegra. I don't wanna lose my brother. I can't let him do this. I need... I need someone to help me. I need you."

"I can't, Dean. You know it's the only way. I realize that's not what you wanna hear, but it's all I got. I can't help you."

Allegra felt Dean's hand on her shoulder. His touch sent shivers down her spine.

"Look at me."

No...

"Allegra, please look at me."