Chapter 2 - One lost soul to another

They sat mostly in silence, listening to AC/DC and Zeppelin until Allegra dozed off. Dean readjusted her scarf to keep her warm and caught himself staring at the sleeping young woman from time to time. Inside, he still boiled in anger, but Allegra's presence somehow made him feel better. Eventually realizing she was right (again), Dean turned around. He knew he would have to face Sam sooner or later, but not before spending some more time with Allegra. She still owed him an explanation, and the grumbling of his empty stomach reminded him he hadn't eaten since lunch the day before. So, first things first - breakfast. 
It took another hour before Dean finally pulled over to a diner a few miles away from the motel he was staying at with Sam. He nudged Allegra awake, feeling almost sorry for it, and helped her get out of the car. They entered the diner and took a booth at the end of the room. The place had just opened, so it was still nice and quiet. When the waitress, who looked like a classic pin-up girl from the sixties even though she was like 50 or so, brought them their breakfast, she gave Allegra a wink.

"Handsome fella, you got there, honey. Don't you let him go."

Much to Dean's amusement and surprise, Allegra winked back.

"Oh, believe me, he's not going anywhere."

She put her hand on Dean's and gave him a beaming smile. As soon as the waitress was out of earshot, he leaned in.

"You know, if you wanted this to go that way, we could've gone to a motel instead."

"Ha, ain't gonna happen, cowboy." Allegra laughed and pulled her hand back. "She thinks we're a couple, so that means she'll give us some alone time. Perfect chance for us to talk."

Dean had to admit she handled it brilliantly. He took a sip of coffee and heartily started on his bacon and eggs. Allegra dug into her pancakes, enjoying the sweet taste of the blueberries and maple syrup on top.

"So," said Dean after a few bites. "Start talking, Miss Galen. Why did Castiel pick you of all people to resurrect me and help me now?"

"I can only guess, Dean," Allegra said. "I think it's because of what I can do. What I've been through myself."

"Uhu, which is?"

"I have these... powers, for lack of a better term. Don't ask me how I got them; I don't know. Born with them, I suppose. The thing is, these powers... Apparently, they're a gift from God. I started seeing and hearing the angels in my dreams when I was a teenager. They told me I was destined to help them and that they would guide me through everything."

"Your parents must have thought you were crazy when you told them that."

 "They probably would have if I had any."

Dean froze for a second and looked up as Allegra played with the rest of her food. She took a breath when she noticed his gaze.

"Never knew my mom, and Dad left me on my 13th birthday. No other family that I know of."

"You've been on your own since then?" asked Dean.

"Pretty much," she answered.

"Where do you live?"

"Abandoned houses that aren't haunted. Woods. The backroom of a bar if I find someone desperate enough to hire me for a short while. Everywhere really. I get around a lot."

She's just like Sam, thought Dean. The only difference is that Sam has an older brother that takes care of him. And we have Bobby. And we usually stay in motels. Okay, so maybe not exactly the same, but still...

"I'm sorry," he said sympathetically. "That sucks."

"I've grown accustomed to being on my own." She shrugged and took a sip of her iced mint tea. "It's better that way."