Chapter 9 - The truth beneath the lie

Alaska. An abandoned cabin in some forest on some mountain. That's where Allegra found her latest escape. She'd first hopped from town to town, two to three times a day, crossing almost the entire United States and even making a few stops in Mexico and Canada, going to places she remembered seeing on postcards or Google. Moving around like that for almost a month had a purpose. She put up a trace that would be very difficult to track down - for anyone.
Allegra just wanted to be alone. No Angels in her head. No fake father who may or may not try to find her. No Castiel. No D... No... No, not that last one. She did want Dean. She wanted to look into those green eyes and feel the warmth of his body against hers as they slept. To feel his touch on her skin. To hear his rough but sweet voice. To have his lips on hers again. But after overhearing his conversation with Castiel, Allegra was determined not to let him risk his life for hers. It wasn't up to him to save her. So she left before he could stop and convince her to stay.
Every day, she heard Dean's thoughts ringing loudly and clearly as if he were standing right beside her. Every day, he begged her to come back. And every day that she ignored him, her heart broke just a little bit more. She pushed him away - for both their sakes.

After about a week, she returned early from one of her walks and saw a light on in the cabin. Pretty sure that she hadn't left any candles burning, Allegra carefully stepped up the wooden stairs and took John Winchester's knife from her boot. She had expected someone to find her eventually, but she had hoped it would've taken them just a little bit longer.
She opened the door and found Castiel seated at the table. He had lit all the candles in the cabin and had apparently decided to wait for her instead of coming back another time. He rose from his chair when Allegra came in.

"Hello. How have you been?" he asked her as if nothing at all had happened.

She didn't answer and just took her scarf off.

"It was clever what you did. It took me some time to find you."

Allegra crossed her arms over her chest, keeping the knife in her hand. She narrowed her eyes at him, knowing her harsh look would make the angel uncomfortable. She used to do the same with her fa... with Gabriel whenever he'd gone too far with one of his jokes.

"Perhaps we could sit down," tried Castiel, motioning to the table.

"I'm good here," she said.

"I merely wish to talk."

She scoffed at that.

"Oh, now you wanna talk? Okay... Sure, let's talk. Let's start with how you all lied to me."

"We didn't mean to..."

"Don't you dare finish that sentence!"

Allegra had to stop herself from punching Castiel's lights out.

"I want the truth, Castiel. No more lies, no holding things back. You're gonna tell me everything you know, or else you're gonna get me someone who can. Right now!"

Castiel looked at her with his sad puppy eyes, contemplating what he should do. Then Allegra heard a flutter of wings behind her.

"Castiel, go. I got this."

She spun on her heels and stood face to face with Gabriel. Her breath caught in her throat.

Of all the angels... Not him...

Castiel disappeared and left father and daughter alone. Gabriel started to walk through the cabin. Allegra watched his every move as he passed her.

"Nice place you got here," he said airily. "Little woodsy for my taste, but nice."

He sat down in the same chair Castiel had occupied. His eyes wandered over her.

"God, you've grown up so beautiful. You were pretty when you were young, of course, but I never thought you'd be... well, this."