Chapter 36 - A failure to communicate

It had been almost 2 weeks since Allegra called Dean to tell him she failed and was going to stay away. He tried to reach out to her in every possible way he could think of and even contacted Sheriff Mills to put out a missing person report on her. But it looked like Allegra fell off the face of the Earth. Just disappeared into thin air. She was good at that. Running from demons since she was a teenager, traveling from place to place... If anything, Dean had only made her better at it. He taught her how to fall off the grid completely, just like his dad taught him.

"Alley, please... Come back. There's no need to run anymore. Cas is... H-He's gone. Dead. He can't hurt you anymore."

Dean's breath caught in his throat as he remembered Castiel. The Angel had continued his killing rampage after facing Allegra, but something in him had snapped, and he'd returned to them, asking for help. The plan had been to put the souls back in Purgatory, but it had been too late. Castiel hadn't just sucked in souls, but these beings called Leviathans as well. They were the ones messing with his mind, trying to take over. 
They succeeded. They got out, spreading into the area through the pipes of a nearby water reservoir. And Castiel had died, leaving only that stupid trench coat of his behind. Dean kept the damn thing in the trunk of the Impala. He didn't know why.

They were trying to track the Leviathans, but so far, everything was quiet. And even if they could track them down, how the hell would they kill the bastards? Allegra seemed like the most plausible option, being what she was. But she had already faced them head-on when they were all still in Castiel, with the Staff of Moses to give her the extra juice too. It still hadn't been enough. In other words, they were screwed... again.
And then there was that other problem.

"Sam's not okay. Wall's cracked, I think. He's having hallucinations. So you see, we really need you... I need you."

Dean looked around Allegra's bedroom, hoping that might've done it, but the redhead still didn't show. He dropped on the chair at the desk and took his phone back. He scrolled through his gallery, searching for the picture he took of her years ago. It was the only one he had. He never even told Allegra about it. Nor had he given her the present he bought in town. It just never felt like the right time. Now he wished he'd done everything differently. 
Dean was about to push the call button on his cell to leave her message number 713 or something, when his brother stormed into the room.

"Dude, what the...?!"

Sam quickly shushed him and put his own cell between them, pressing the speaker button.

"How do you know about my hallucinations?" 

"Dean mentioned it."

Dean's eyes widened. He would recognize that voice anywhere. Allegra... So, she was listening to him! But why the hell was she calling his brother and not him? Just as he was about to pry the phone away from him, Sam gave Dean a warning look and held the cell closer to his mouth.

"You haven't talked to Dean since that call you made, Allegra. And he didn't know then."

"Just because I've gone deep-six doesn't mean I've forgotten you all. I listen to the voicemails and... and don't change the subject! What's all this about hallucinations? Since when do you have them?"

"N-Not very long..."

"You're gonna have to do better than that, Sam. What do you see?"

Dean threw his hands up at Sam's hesitation. His brother shuffled back a little in an awkward manner.

"Just stuff," he replied.

"Sam, either you tell me what or who you're seeing, or I'm hanging up right now, and you can figure it out on your own!"