Chapter 28 - Severing the ties

Everything hurt. Legs, arms, chest, head... Allegra wondered if this was what it felt like to get hit by a bolder. Or a stampede. She still had the faint taste of blood in her mouth. There were people with her. She picked up bits and pieces of far-away voices, talking to each other, talking to her. Why wouldn't they go away? The last thing Allegra wanted was to hear the muddle of multiple voices near her. She already had that going on inside her head.

Angel radio was at top volume, and Allegra was too weak to block it out. All she could do was try to make sense of the utter chaos. The attack divided the angels even more. Some believed it was a step that had to be taken. Others among them were outraged. Allegra was one of them, after all. They believed she should never have been attacked nor treated the way she'd been.
Most of them, though, no matter which side they were on, were afraid. Some expected Allegra would now be coming after them, as she had threatened to do so before, to take her revenge on not only her attackers but on all the angels. Their main concern was this; did they push her to the point of no return and right toward Lucifer?

Allegra felt a wet cloth on her brow. Even though it felt good, all she wanted was to be left alone. But then she felt his caring touch. She heard his concerned voice resonating around her.

Dean... you found me.

"I'm gonna kill him." His voice grew fiercer and clearer. "I'm going after every single one of those bastards."

"Dean, calm down. We don't know what happened."

Sam... Thank God you're okay.

"Looks pretty obvious to me, Sam!" 

"I'm just finding it hard to believe Cas would do this. I mean, for all we know, they were attacked by demons, and..."

"And what, Sam? Demons brought her to Bobby's doorstep when they were done and pinned it on the angels? Are you kidding me?!"

Sam sighed. Allegra felt sorry for him, but she had to admit, points went to Dean on this one. Even Crowley wouldn't sink that low. Speaking of which... Did Dean just say a demon brought her to Bobby's?

"I'm gonna help Bobby out with this whole Mother of All thing. Yell if you need anything or if she wakes up."

Allegra heard Sam's footsteps as he walked away. She tried to open her eyes, but it was like they were glued shut. Even her fingers felt like they were made of stone and wouldn't budge an inch.

Come on, Allegra. Open your eyes. Do something. Wait, what was the line again? Oh yeah; wiggle your big toe.

Dean removed the cloth from her brow, gently wiping her face with it to keep her cool. He sat on the side of the bed.

"Alley, I don't know if you can hear me, but I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, baby. You were right... again. I didn't wanna listen. I didn't wanna believe that... God, why would they do this?"

Allegra felt him take her hand into his. She so desperately wanted to let him know she was listening, that she could hear him.

Open your eyes!

"Maybe... son of a bitch, I can't believe I'm saying this... Maybe we shouldn't do this. I don't care what they do to me, but you've already been through enough. If you get hurt simply because we're together... because I'm bad for you...Alley, I...'

"Don't... say that..."

Allegra hadn't realized she had said anything until she sensed Dean stiffen at her side. She tried to say something else and heard the sound of her own voice.

"Y-You're... the best thing that's ever happened to me."

She finally managed to open her eyes. Dean's startled expression was the funniest thing Allegra'd seen in a while, and she would've laughed if it didn't hurt that damn much. Instead, she pinched his hand. It pulled Dean out of his trance, and he practically jumped her.