Chapter 53 - Give anything but don't give up

The minute Allegra walked through the cabin door, she went straight to the basement. She took some red chalk from a box on the table and drew a devil trap on the floor, barely looking up from her work when she heard Sam come down the stairs. 

"You go ahead and summon Crowley," she said. "Make sure he can't leave."

"Allegra..."

 "I'll be back as soon as I can with the Staff of Moses, and then we can..."

"Allegra!"

Sam suddenly grabbed hold of Allegra and lifted her up. She winced as he held her firmly by her arms. Her broken bones had already healed, but there was still a sore stiffness. 

"Sorry." Sam loosened his grip a little. "Just stop for two seconds, please. We need to be smart about this. Provoking Crowley isn't the smartest move at this point. Even if we do manage to summon his ass here, he'll probably have left orders to kill Kevin if anything happens to him."

Allegra wanted to argue, but Sam was right. They couldn't risk it. She sighed.

"Fine, what do you suggest we do, then?"

"We focus on low-rank demons for now. The only reason Crowley would need Kevin is for his prophet abilities. Maybe there's another tablet or something. We find out what Crowley's plan is first and work from there."

"Sam, that can take days. Weeks even!"

"I know." Sam cupped Allegra's face. "And I don't like it any more than you do. But there isn't much else we can do."

She looked into his eyes as she listened to his thoughts. He was begging her not to rush into things. Reluctantly, Allegra relented. Sam kissed the top of her head before he let go. 

"I'll finish the devil trap and see which demon we can summon first," he said, taking the red chalk from her. "You go up and rest for a bit. You used your powers in Sucrocorp, and you got your arm snapped." 

"My arm's fine, Sam. I'm a lot stronger now than I was before, so please don't treat me like a weak little girl."

"I'm not. But just because you're part angel doesn't mean you're invincible. If we're really doing this, you need your strength. Please?"

Allegra knew Sam wasn't going to let this go, so she nodded with a huff. Sam smiled and brushed his lips against hers. She didn't exactly kiss him back and just let it happen. Talking to Bobby and kissing Dean that night in the forest only confirmed what she felt deep inside. It wasn't Sam she wanted.

"I'll make some coffee then." Allegra stepped away to go back upstairs. "We're probably gonna pull an all-nighter if we're gonna torture demons and research Purgatory at the same time."

"Purgatory?" questioned Sam. "Why do you wanna research Purgatory?"

Allegra came to a halt, her hand on the stair banister, and furrowed her brow at him. 

"You forgetting Kevin isn't the only one who got snatched? Dean and Castiel were standing near Roman when he exploded. He was a monster, and monsters go to Purgatory. Ergo..."

"You think Dean and Cas got sucked into Purgatory with Roman?" 

"You got a better theory?"

Sam's mouth opened but then closed immediately again. Allegra narrowed her eyes at him when she realized what he had meant to say.

"They're alive, Sam."

"We don't know that, Allegra. I mean, sure, they were standing near Roman when he blew up, but that doesn't mean they went with him to Purgatory. Cas, maybe, but Dean? He's not a supernatural being. If he's dead..."