Chapter 31 - Hunter, Cowboy, Phoenix, Angel

"Dean, I don't know about this. It's bad enough you wanna drag Sam with you when he's clearly not okay but trusting Castiel..."

"Alley, we'll be fine. The angels got the memo. They haven't tried anything since the last time, and Cas knows he can't come between us. As for Sam... He seems fine now. Nothing else happened, and you said you couldn't sense anything wonky in his head either since Bristol."

"Yeah, I know, but I'm allowed to worry, Dean."

After that case in Rhode Island a couple of weeks ago, where Sam discovered some of the messed up stuff he'd done in the year he was soulless, the memories had begun to scratch the surface of the wall protecting his soul. Then, their grandfather Samuel died (again) during another case. So did Bobby's Hunter-friend, Rufus. 
All the while, the ever-present threat of the Mother of All, Eve, was growing. Monsters and other creeps were coming out of the shadows to play. They had to be stopped. But to do that, they needed the ashes of a Phoenix. And since no one had seen one of those around in real life lately, they needed to return to the time and place when someone actually had - Sunrise, Wyoming, March 5, 1861. They needed to get the ashes from the guy who wrote about killing a Phoenix in his journal. An old familiar of the brothers and maker of a demon-killing gun; Samuel Colt. 
This was the worse idea ever.

"Hey, come here." Dean pulled Allegra into his arms. "We'll be fine, I promise. Sam and I can handle ourselves. It's not the first time we travel through time, and I doubt it'll be the last." 

"I just don't wanna lose you." Allegra sighed and put her head on his shoulder, taking his scent for comfort. 

"You won't. You're my reason to come back."

He raised Allegra's head with a hand under her chin. Their eyes met. Their lips touched. Allegra held on to him as if her life depended on it, and Dean deepened the kiss between them. He gently pushed her back against the wall, pressing his body against hers.  After a few minutes, their lips parted, lingering a few inches from each other. If they kissed again, they probably wouldn't make it downstairs for the rest of the day. Exploring each other's bodies while not having sex was a challenging but fun endeavor, to which they vigorously committed to.

"I uh... I should go." Dean cleared his throat and reluctantly stepped away from Allegra. "I need to pick up a few things before we go."

"What could you possibly need to buy for 1861?" she asked curiously.

"You'll see." 

He winked as he left her. Allegra stood against the doorframe, watching Dean go down the stairs, a smile on her face. It wasn't until her boyfriend was completely gone from sight that she felt that awful sensation in her shoulder again. Once, she drew comfort from it, knowing the angel was near to protect her. Now, she hated that feeling, and she hated him
She turned and saw Castiel in the middle of the room. He had on his usual attire, his suit and trench coat, and his expression was more or less normal, as far you could tell with Castiel anyway.

"What do you want, Castiel?" demanded Allegra.

"To speak with you. I won't harm you, nor will any of the others. You have my word."

She sighed and closed the door to a gap as she then leaned against the wall. With arms crossed over her chest, she waited for Castiel to continue. Her eyes narrowed as she noticed him fidgeting with his sleeves. What was he so nervous about?

"We've- I've realized that we may have been mistaken in our judgment over you and Dean. It seems your feelings for each other are genuine and... Well, suffice to say that, for the time being anyway, you have our blessing."

Allegra scoffed.

"I don't need nor want your goddamn blessing, Castiel. And if that was supposed to be an apology for what you did, you're gonna have to do a lot better."