Chapter 58 - January 24

"Dean, Mrs. Robinson just called; her kitchen drain is stuck. You mind going over to help her? She's got tools if you need any."

He frowned at Allegra over his morning coffee.

"Euhm... sure. But fair warning, I'm no plumbing expert."

"Oh. I just figured... Well, you're always working on Baby, and... you're so strong and handy. But if you don't think you can do this, then I'll..."

"Wow, hang on, I never said I couldn't do it," Dean rebuffed quickly, making Allegra hide her smirk. "I'll go check it out, don't worry."

"Really? Oh, you're the best!" She walked over to him and wrapped her arms around his neck. "So, euhm, would you mind going right now? She's got her weekly bridge game, and it's at her place today."

Dean sighed and nodded. Allegra beamed and gave him a peck on the cheek. She let him finish the last of his coffee before handing him his jacket.

"Oh, I almost forgot; they're doing some roadwork, and it's a mess out there with the machines and the cement and all. You'll be better off walking through the grove."

"Fine. Do you want me to take Trixie? Let her run outside a bit?"

"You've grown to like her, huh?"

"She's not that bad. For a dog, I mean."

Allegra chuckled and whistled for her pet. The dog came running and immediately went for the door, scratching her paw against the frame.

"Hold on, Trix," said Dean. "I need something before I go."

"What?" wondered Allegra.

The kiss came unexpectedly but was ever so sweet and tender. She took in every bit of him, longing to feel those lips on other parts of her body. Oh, if only it was already a few hours later.

"That." Dean winked as he broke the kiss off. "I'll be back as soon as I can."

"I'll be here, waiting." 

Allegra stayed on the porch to wave goodbye until he passed the fence and then quickly closed the door behind her. Finally, step one, getting Dean out of the house, was complete. Now on to step two. She set to work and hoped Mrs. Robinson wouldn't spoil anything.

***

"Thank you again for coming out to help, dear. I just don't know what I would have done on such short notice. Those plumbers will steal you blind sometimes."

"It's my pleasure, Mrs. Robinson. I'm almost done here... I think."

"I'll make you some coffee then, with a slice of cake."

"Oh, you don't have to..."

"No, no, I insist. You're one of the good ones, Dean, and I've been meaning to thank you for taking such good care of Allegra. Lord knows the dating scene isn't what it used to be in my day. There are some downright rotten apples out there."

Dean smiled awkwardly at her comment. If this old bitty knew half the stuff of what he made Allegra suffer through, she wouldn't be offering him a slice of cake - she'd chase him around town with her purse or umbrella, swinging wildly to smack sense into him.

"Hey, Mrs. Robinson, can I ask you something? When you spoke to Allegra earlier, did she sound, I don't know, off, maybe? Like something was bothering her?"

"Not that I noticed, dear. Why do you ask?"

"We had a case a couple of days ago, and I think she's still a bit shaken up about it," said Dean, coming out from under the sink.