Chapter 39 - Fallen Hunter, fallen friend

"Allegra, please! It's Bobby!"

Dean reached out to Allegra with everything he had. She had to come. She just had to! How could she ignore him now?!

"Goddammit!" he yelled, making the nurse closest to him jump and give him a scolding look.

"They're doing everything they can," said Sam, pulling his brother to a corner.

"They can't help him, Sam! We need Cas, we need... Allegra!"

He pushed Sam aside the minute he saw Allegra rush into the trauma room. He ran straight to her, halting at the very last moment.

"I wasn't sure you were gonna..."

"Where's Bobby?" interrupted Allegra. "What the hell happened?"

"Leviathan attack," said Dean as he guided Allegra to Bobby's bed.

"Since when did they start using bullets?"

"Since now, I don't know! Just fix him."

Dean swallowed when he saw his friend and mentor lying unconscious in that hospital gown, tubes sticking out of him. That image was going to haunt him for a while. He watched Allegra take hold of Bobby's hand and close her eyes. Sam stood silently on the other side. They both knew better than to disturb Allegra when she tapped into her powers.

"I already wrapped my shield around his soul when I heard your thoughts," she said. "I need to stay close to him now."

"Okay, so we're good then?" asked Dean. "You got him?"

Allegra's eyes flashed to him for a moment. He didn't like what he saw in them.

"I'm tethering Bobby's soul to his body, but it's only prolonging the inevitable. Death can't take him now, but I can't keep this up forever. His body needs to heal."

"Well, then what the hell are you waiting for?!" exclaimed Dean impatiently.

"Dean, you know very well I don't have healing powers," Allegra hissed at him, making sure no one else could hear. "If I did, I wouldn't have to do this, and we would be walking out that door right now."

"Well, this ain't good enough, Allegra! You saved me from the plague of the firstborn, so you better find a way to save Bobby from a freakin' bullet, you hear me?!"

"I'm trying, Dean!"

"Okay, guys, enough."

Sam came round to stand between the both of them. Dean glared at Allegra, but she ignored him, turning her attention back to Bobby. She gave him a little squeeze, but there was no response. His pulse was a bit lower than it should be but stable. Dean didn't know what to do anymore. The doctors were useless, Sam was useless, and Allegra was here (finally!), but what the hell for? Why had he even thought of her? He knew she couldn't heal people; she was no good either. They needed Cas. But he was dead. Allegra was the only other... angel... Wait a minute...

"Get an angel down here," said Dean. "You're the only angel we have right now, but without any healing powers, you're no good to us. So turn your radio back on and get one of them to come here and help Bobby."

"They won't help him," said Allegra with a shake of her head.

"I'm sorry, what? Why the hell not?"

"The angels want nothing to do with any of you. They'll just see Bobby as collateral damage. I'm already risking a lot coming here as it is."

"Are you freaking kidding me with this crap?! How do you even know if you won't try?!"

"Because I've been living with them."