Chapter 50 - Revelations

"Hey, can I come in?"

Allegra looked up from her book to see Sam standing at the attic door. She figured he would come knocking sooner or later. She hadn't exactly been present much. It was almost 24 hours ago since they arrived in the house she grew up in, and Allegra had only come down from the attic to check on Kevin a couple of times and to prepare their meals. Sam probably would've come up sooner, but Trixie constantly standing on guard at the bottom of the stairs leading to the attic made it almost impossible.
Things had gotten awkward again. Allegra didn't want to be near Dean for any longer than was necessary, but here, in this house, where so many happy memories were nothing but lies, she couldn't bear to part with him. She needed him. Only him. And Sam, of course, picked up on this. 

"How did you get past Trixie?" asked Allegra as she sat up and put her book away, beckoning Sam to come in.

"Dean took her out for a walk," answered Sam. 

"He did?" Allegra raised her brow at this. "I thought Dean didn't like dogs?"

"He doesn't. But he has a natural attraction to bitches, so..."

Allegra pressed her lips together and lowered her head. Sam became aware of his mistake and hurried over to the bed to sit with her. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean..."

"It's fine, Sam. How's Kevin doing?"

"Good. Only one line left, he says. He wants to keep working during dinner."

"Not on my watch, he's not. I know he wants to leave, but starving himself won't help anyone. The tablet can wait for 15 minutes."

Allegra saw Sam's mouth curl up in a hesitant smile from the corner of her eye. He moved a little closer to her. 

"Are you okay?" he asked. "I didn't get a chance to ask you before. I can't imagine what it must be like to be back here."

"It's... hard," admitted Allegra. "But I'm good."

"You know you don't have to put up a brave face with me, right?" Sam gave her an intense look.

"I'm not. I stopped thinking of this place as home years ago. It's just the house I grew up in."

"But you were happy here, weren't you? I mean, all those pictures downstairs..."

"Are fake. Everything here is. It's all just something Gabriel fabricated to keep pretenses up and make it easier on himself until he could regain the freedom he lost when he was forced to take care of me."

"You don't know that, Allegra. Gabriel never struck me as the family type, but he still did the job. He was there for your first word, your first walk, your first... everything. He cared enough to make sure you had a happy childhood. Even real fathers struggle at that."

Sam's expression hardened. Allegra remembered he hadn't had the best relationship with his own dad. John Winchester had lived his life hell-bent on revenge, hunting the yellow-eyed demon who killed his wife. Sam and Dean never had a typical childhood because of that. Always moving, changing schools every few months, missing their dad for weeks on end sometimes, being left on Bobby's doorstep... Part of Sam still resented his father for that, even though the man had died years ago. 

"Quite the pair we make, huh?" remarked Allegra.

Sam chuckled lightly. Their eyes met again. He began to lean in, very slowly, very carefully. They were startled when they heard a dog barking. Allegra got up and walked to the window. She saw Trixie standing at the barn door, with Dean a few feet away calling her over. She couldn't help but smile when he actually went to get Trixie, pulling at her collar to try and get her to come along with him. But Trixie stubbornly stayed in place. Dean gave up and threw his hands in the air. When he turned towards the house, he looked up for some reason and his eyes locked with Allegra's. She felt her heartbeat slow. Her breath caught. Everything around her faded away. She only saw Dean.